I Don't Know Why

When i woke up I could've sworn i was dreaming. For one Kody was no longer in my bed, just an outline of his figure left.

I walked downstairs only to walk directly into Ashley who was right next to Cam who was at the kitchen bar. In the kitchen was Kody, making us all breakfast. Pancakes, bacon, and eggs. I wonder how confused i looked at the moment, despite the instant smile that made its way to my face.

"Hey whats this?!" I hear my mom say as the door begins to open. Shes been gone all night. My smile instantly drops.

"Uh, i had a few friends over." I say. My mom just nods like she doesn't even care. Any other time she'd ask why i didn't tell her before i invited them, she'd worry if they were here all night, she'd probably make me tell them go home or give them a ride home if they needed one. But for now she just smiled. She didn't seem to care.

"Oh welcome back to the family!" Augie says with no emotion as my mom comes through the door, he walks directly into the kitchen and up to Kody and they begin having a conversation about something i wouldn't understand.

My mom simply slides her shoes off and makes her way to her room without so much as a goodbye.

I return to the kitchen and take a seat at the bar next to Cam.

"Kody and Augie really do have a special connection." Cam murmurs as he stares between them. Its hard for anyone to not notice the way Augie looks up to Kody, like he's his big brother. To Augie, Kody is that one guy you want to be like and make your best bud. Augie is who Kody looks up to.

"Yeah i guess so." I say with a simple shrug. Cam turns to me.

"Do you ever think Augie could look up to me like that? What is he into?" Cam asks with seriousness.

"Uh." I mutter. "He likes legos, and we have a PS4, he's also really into soccer, and has done a few small things in the acting field."

"Wow." Cam says. "You know he and I actually have a lot in common, he reminds me of myself when i was his age." Cam smiles.

"Yeah well you haven't seen him throw a tantrum yet." I chuckle. Cam laughs too. Kody comes up to us setting our plates down on the table. His blue-green eyes find mine as he sets my pancakes and condiments in front of me.

"Thank you." I say. It makes me imagine a future of this. A future of waking up to Kody cooking breakfast for me. A future that may or may mot be existent.

"Thanks." Cam says under his breath.
Ashley is too busy snap chatting to pay attention.

"Selfie!" She announces. All of us poke our heads together and Kody just simply flashes a thumbs up, his back is to the camera and his broad back muscles defined as he leans over the stove.

"Ah hem no phones at breakfast!" I say to Ashley once she saves the picture. She instantly sets it down.

"Right. Yes master." We all laugh.

I take a bite of my pancakes, "so hows school going for everyone so far?"

***

We spend most of breakfast talking about school, gossiping about teachers, and brainstorming where we think the school nurse might be sneaking off to during the day.

I let out a big sigh as our meal comes to an end.

"Thanks." I say to Kody, "for cooking breakfast. Very thoughtful of you." I wink. He smiles faintly at me and gives everyone his welcomes before walking away.