Chapter Twenty-One ~ The Dementors

Start from the beginning

"Go... away..." I murmured, returning to the blissful sleeps that I had experienced with Basilisk venom coursed through my veins.

"Elle... the train's here, we gotta go..." urged Neville, shaking me harder.

One of my eyes burst open to see the dim lights of the cabins alight, leading the way to the exits. Puffing loudly, I hauled myself up and followed Neville, feeling slightly grumpy as I walked further and further away from my nap, which seemed to be sitting on the train.

The thestral drawn carriages waited for us, and I couldn't help but feel them staring at me. It was probably my wand... of the fact that Voldemort could have very likely popped in a few thestral bits and pieces in to my strange birth potion.

Whichever.

A few carriages away, I saw Luna seating herself comfortably in the carriage. She'd probably lecture her friends about the rampant Siberian Catfish in Australia, which had been her last interesting article in the Quibbler that she had recited for me.

Sarah's green eyes shone out in the crowd, combing the gathering for me no doubt. Looking longingly at Neville in front of me, I broke our hands apart and waved good-by as I trudged over to Sarah. Paige and Jane saved us seats in their carriage, and I was soon whisked away and towards Hogwarts.

"Oh... My... GOSH! ARE YOU OKAY? IHEARDABOUTTHEVENOMANDHOWYOUWEREATST.MUNGO'SANDTHATYOUWERESOSICKYOUCOULDN'TWALK-" squealed Sarah, her words jumbling in to one long sentence,

"I'm fine... a bit sluggish, but I'm FINE!" I snapped, finally having to raise my voice to pierce through Sarah's rambling.

Her eyes dulled sadly as I scolded her, and in seconds I fell for their puppy-dog trap. Rubbing her shoulder apologetically, we were soon on good terms again. Damn her and her stupid eyes...

"I heard you saw Neville's looney parents." hissed Jane, leaning forward to glare.

I had never grown close to Jane, and she had always seemed to be a class above me, but this comment was enough to make me ready myself for battle. Looney? Does she know how that even happened to them! 

"I suppose you're parents were off drinking tea while the war raged?" I seethed, returning her glare with equal intensity.

But, to my surprised, they weakened and she ducked her head away.

"No... I never knew them... I'm an orphan..." she muttered, leaning back in to her chair and looking away from me.

An orphan? Part of me said that that didn't excuse her behaviour, the other half fell silent with shock... An orphan? No wonder she was so distant and quiet... That didn't call for her saying those things, but my anger evaporated.

"That's awful." I whispered, patting her hand in the nicest way I could.

"It doesn't matter, I never met them." she snapped, though her heart was not in her words.

I glanced over to Sarah, who immediately lightened the mood with her banter. Meanwhile, Paige shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she peered over at Jane. They were always seemingly the close friends, but now I realised that they were probably all that each other had.

"Paige!" cried a voice, belonging to a particularly pretty blond girl.

"Kaitlyn!" sighed Paige in relief, before practically leaping from the carriage without another word to escape form our morbid topic.

The two skipped away, giggling like small children as they did so.

"What was up with that?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow high.