Chapter 1

"Ugh." I felt deflated and annoyed.

After a long and very boring day at school, I couldn't wait to get home, get into comfy clothes, make some tea and settle down to finally finish the book I had been trying to finish for weeks now.

I perked up slightly remembering that tomorrow I would be 17 and then I'd be able to find my mate. I wonder if he goes to our school?

Would he be in the same pack as me? Would he reject me? Is he Alpha? Maybe a Beta.. According to my best friends, Nina and Alex, who coincidentally had found out that they were mates last month when Alex turned 17, they thought he would never reject me.

I hope my mate would be like Alex, he was so sweet. He'd never even consider rejecting his mate.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole mate thing. Forever is sure a long time.

Saying goodbye to Alex and Nina who barely acknowledged me, I started walking home. I hope they snap out of this stupid lovey dovey daze they are in, its driving me crazy that 2/3 of my only friends are making me feel like a third wheel.

" Watch it! " An annoyed voice snapped, taking me out of my thoughts and back to reality to find I had bumped into a tall, very hot guy.

'Its Finn Heids!' My wolf shouts at me. I roll my eyes. This guy is the biggest player in the school. Unfortunately for me, he's also becoming Alpha when he turns 18 which is in 2 months. You're supposed to respect and support him blah blah blah but I wasn't having any of that.

" You bumped into me dude. " I said crossing my arms. Just because he's future Alpha doesn't mean he could walk all over me.

" Excuse you. " I said in an overly rude tone. I'd never spoken rudely to a stranger but this guy just pushes my buttons. Yeah we're in the same pack but I've always managed to avoid him at meetings and he probably doesn't know I exist so I don't have to try very hard to avoid him.

" Someone's on their period. " He said staring at me in a challenging way with a smirk on his beautiful lips. STOP IT I said to my wolf. He's a jerk.

I rolled my eyes and pushed past him, continuing to walk home. I heard a snicker behind me but I acted like he wasn't there.

I pity whoever his mate is. Word is that he wants to find his mate before becoming Alpha.

'Poor girl' Says my wolf. Or poor boy I reply with a smirk.

I sighed as I slumped up to my bedroom. Bumping into Finn the idiot as I liked to call him, had put me into an even worse mood than before. And I was still worried about who my mate would be.

My mom appeared in my room with a big smile on her pretty face. She was quite young for a mother of an almost 17 year old, being only 17 when she had me making her only 34.

Sometimes she was more of a friend than a mother. My dad who had found his mate, my mom, when they were 17 had always told me that he loved my mom so much that he couldn't wait to have a child so they were happy when they had me, although they had been really young.

" I'm so excited for tomorrow! I wonder who your mate is going to be?! " She said with a squeal. Really. She could be such a teenage girl sometimes.

" Your party is going to be wonderful. Although your dad will probably kill any boy who comes up to you. " She said looking thoughtful. " He's just scared of loosing his only daughter. "

" MOM! I told you I don't want a party! " I was seriously annoyed now.

" Don't worry babe, its not a party. We're just going to go over to the pack house for supper. Your dad's got pack stuff to sort out and most pack members are going to be there so we can stay. " My dad is the pack doctor.

" Whatever. "

***

" Today is the best day of your life! Ah the suspense of who your mate is, is killing me! " Nina and Alex had fetched me for school and Nina was having a little fangirl moment.

" Yeah. " I said half heartedly. I had put a lot of effort into my outfit for today and my hair was nicer than usual, although I haven't done much make up, I preferred looking natural. I'm wearing black skinny jeans with rips at the knees, a plain tshirt with a cropped maroon jersey over and brown ankle boots.

This was a different look for me, I hate drawing unnecessary attention to myself. But today I could find my mate so I wanted to impress.

We had arrived. I took a deep breath and got out of the car. Nina linked arms with me and Alex put his arm around her waist. Although they were annoying me I had to admit they were really cute together. A few people looked over at us but I'm not popular so I didn't get much attention.

As we were walking to class I got a few people commenting on my outfit and on me being 17, but mainly people who I partnered in class or who I had done projects with before.

" See you guys at lunch. " I said heading to class.

" Hey birthday babe. " Said my desk partner Daniel. He's pretty cute but I knew he wasn't my mate. He's tall with brown hair and eyes, and a nice jawline.

" Found the mate yet? " He said slinging his arm over my shoulders.

" No. " Our maths teacher walked in then cutting off any more questions from Daniel. He left his arm on me though and it didn't bother me.

Next thing I knew I smelt the best thing ever. It was like the sea mixed with the forest, mixed with a smell I could only describe as boy. It was delicious. It was all I could think of as I went from class to class.

Finally lunch rolled around and I desperately wanted to find the source of that smell. It would be my mate.

I went into the cafeteria and joined my friends. Daniel came over as well and started talking to me but I wasn't listening. I knew my mate was somewhere close by.

And I have a strange feeling that it isn't someone average.