Chapter Three (Edited Version)

Chapter Three

Slowly, I open my eyes. I blink them, trying to adjust my eyes to the bright light which replaced the darkness in which I found myself seconds ago. I look around, trying to guess where I currently am. I was in a white robe, white bed, covered with white sheets and the walls were of a pale blue. From my memories, I remember this place. I came here with my mother once to visit her injured friend who met with a road accident. The hospital! I have always hated it. I hate the smell of chemicals which fills my nostrils. The tensed atmosphere crowded with worried people. The cries of patients in pain and at times those of relatives over hearing that operations did fail, nothing can make me more uneasy. I know I can’t blame them though, but I just cannot bear the sadness, it always bring tears to my eyes.

"Emma, my darling, how are you feeling?" I am snapped out of my thoughts by the concerned yet sweet voice of my mother. It makes me sad to hear her sound so stressed and concerned. Suddenly, realisation comes back to me. What am I doing here? Did I faint? I felt something prick on my hand. I turned my head abruptly and saw a needle through my skin with a tube. That same tube was connecting my vein to a bag, hanging on a metal stand, containing some white liquid. I did understand that the liquid, which I guessed was Serum, was being injected into my vein. Having a needle into my skin was not the best feeling. I am scared of needles, especially those going through my skin.

"Emma? Baby, are you okay?" Mon asked me again.

"Yes mom. I’m fine," I reassured her. "Mom, what happened to me? Why am I here?" I remembered to ask. I could not understand why I was in the hospital, and I have to be given serum.

"You don’t remember?” Mom gently asked me.

“I remember everything getting dark and I hit something hard. I guess I fainted! But why am I in a hospital? Fainting is not a serious matter. It often happens due to heat or fatigue.” I quoted the lines our health education teacher told us when I still in my first year of high school.

“You’re right sweetheart,” she added. “But you were unconscious for too long so the school had to send you here, in case there were any complications.”

"For how long have I been unconscious mom?" I asked my mom. It felt like half an hour for me, but I got concerned when mom stated for too long. In movies, when someone usually faints, it’s for about fifteen to thirty minutes. But this is not a movie. It’s real life, my life!

"For about one and a half hour!” Mom stated. “But don't worry about it. Everything is fine now."                                                     

                                                                +++

The ride home was not too long. The doctor said i needed rest and that I might have fainted due to fatigue from running and in addition to the heat in which we ran. Summer is not very pleasant at times. Too hot to live peacefully!

As soon as we reached home, i got to my room. I was quite exhausted from the ride and i was very sleepy. I decided to take a quick shower. I was very exhausted and I only needed sleep. After showering, I wore an oversized, green T-shirt and sweatpants. I brought my shoulder- length hair into a messy bun.

Without delaying any more, I turned on the air- conditioner and lied on bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I drifted to a deep sleep.

                                                                 +++

Few minutes later, I am in the same mysterious alley, the same shimmering flowers and melodious birds. I was flying with my wings. They were not those butterfly wings like fairies usually have, nor the feathers angels are said to have. They seem to be crystal clear, like the central flower’s bud, except that my wings were not glowing but it did felt magical. After all, those were wings attached to my back. However, it feels different today. I approach the central flower and extend my arm to touch it.

"Emma, daughter, this is the right time. You are ready!"

Just then all the birds and butterflies surround me. They fly excitedly around me. It almost looks as if they are dancing. Everything starts to fade and I hear her again.  "Go on my dear, your destiny has been written. Make the good choices and decisions. Good luck!"

                                                                 +++

I opened my eyes. I was feeling a lot better. Your destiny has been written. These words were still echoing in my mind. What could it mean? God Emma! That was only a dream! Everywhere was still dark. I checked the time on my phone. 3.30 a.m. I never wake up this early, something was weird after all. I tried to sleep again, tossing from side to side on the bed, but I could not. I was totally awake.

Since I cannot sleep, maybe I can read a book. At this time of the day, Wattpad seems to be the best option. I pull the sheets off my body and get off my bed. As I’m about to sit in front of my computer screen, I notice something weird behind me, but I cannot really tell what it is. It’s too dark around.

I switch on the light and stands in front of my mirror. That’s when I see what it is. I freeze on the stop, not knowing how to react. Wings! I have wings. Maybe this is still a dream. Those are the same wings after all. No! I’m definitely dreaming. Buti’m not sure about myself. What if... I pinch myself and the pain which rushes to through my arm, instantly confirms my thoughts. I have wing!

As a child, I have always wanted to have wings and live like in a fairy tale. Now that I have them, I don’t know what to make of it! I know something though, I cannot tell mom about this. For the first time, I decide to hide something important from mom. I do not know if this is a good or a bad thing. I guess I’ll find out!