Chapter One - "Lifeline"

"Is there anybody out there?

Can you pull me from this ocean of despair?

I'm drowning in the pain,

Breaking down again,

Looking for a lifeline.

You know a heart of gold,

Won't take you all the way.

And in a world so cold,

It's hard to keep the faith.

I'm never gonna fade away!"

Chapter One

IMMI

               White clouds surrounded me.  The ground felt so soft; like velvet.  You could easily fall on the floor and not have a single bruise or scratch on you.  Walking around, I could see the streets filled with happy people.  No-one looked sad or angry.  It felt like home here.  I belonged here... but at the same time, something felt missing.

               “Immi...”  I heard a voice whispering.  Looking around, there was nothing there.  How odd... “Immi...”  There it goes again!

               The voice seemed to be repeating itself over and over again.  Trying to find the source, I listened to my right where it seemed to be the loudest.  I ran, following the voice as a guide.  It kept getting louder and louder; even though it was only a fraction louder than a whisper.

               Running towards a church, I looked at it in amazement.  It towered over me.  It's brick walls which looked old, shone with light and radiance. They looked untouched.  The stained glass was bright and inviting.  It was like this place was welcoming me home...

               Walking over to the large, pine doors, I opened them carefully.  Even though they looked like they could break at any second they swung open like a new door would.  Smooth and without a problem.

               I slowly walked down the aisle, which was marble.  It felt cold against my bare feet but wasn't cold enough to sting.  The inside of the church was even more magnificent than the outside.  The rows of chairs seated looked nicely polished and much too perfect.  Sliding my hands against the seats, they felt perfect.  It was almost like this place was the definition of perfect.  Even the atmosphere was perfect: I felt safe and warm.  Like this place protected me.

               “Immi...”  I heard the voice again and followed it until I was in front of a book, which was sitting peacefully on the altar.  It was sat right below a cross with two statues of angels next to it.  One on either side.  It was an old one book, I could see by the texture and how it had worn.  Before I could even touch the book it flipped open.  I watched as it flickered through the pages until it slowed and stopped on one.

               The paper looked delicate and fragile.  Slowly touching it, it felt soft but rough at the same time.  I looked at the top of the page.  'Angel Blood & Its Effects' but before I could even read on or start to, a bright light cast across the room and I was sucked into the book.