9) ''If This Stains...''

~A~

Our swords were pointed, ready to cut down the demons that approached us. The first, a sluggish figure with a centipedes legs, flung itself at me, trying to claw at Jace on its way but within seconds of it pouncing from its small legs, my sword has found its heart and it was no more than dust.

The next were not hesitant to strike together, working like a swarm of ants to catch their prey but, with our combined skills, they were soon sprawled across the stone ground.

We cut down demon after the next, each one more bloody than the last. Soon enough, all eight were nothing more than a pool of black blood splattered on the ground. As Jace shoved let the final one drop from his sword, we all let a sigh of exhaustion before leaning towards the wall for support. We were too tired to fight any more- a fatal mistake.

'They're gone.' Jace breathed, stating what was obvious to break the heavy silence. I was too busy staring at Magnus to pay attention, his face was no less that a violent shade of green as he began to gag at the guts and gore. He wasn't squeamish but the sight didn't leave anything to the imagination, a violently twitching eyeball still present on the soaked earth. He held a brave face but as his eyebrows twitched, I could see him visibly pulling away his show from the smooth liquid that poured into the crevices of his thin shoes.

'If this stains...' he muttered, shaking his shoe, never ending his threat. His comment, at the least, brought a sense of reality back to the trio, flooding back to them like ice cold water.

I breathed heavily, heaving to gain back my strength- we all knew this was not the end. Something was behind the door. It was, now, a question of what...or who. 'We need to go on. The others are in there.' I panted, moving forward on frail limbs.

'Alec, wait!' Jace called out as I pushed the large doors of the Institute, the trap awaiting me.

~

I groaned as I slipped back into consciousness, only to find myself engulfed in darkness. A small spot of light flickered through the grimy window on my right, making it clear where he was being held- if that was what this was at all.

It was one of the attic rooms that covered the top two floors of the institute- gaining their collective name not from being in the attic but rather their reputation for being the only rooms with natural light. Not that that made any difference to the darkness. The sun was setting and little was visible in the musty room. What shone through the window was no more than dim moonlight, only illuminating the outlines of the shapes of the room.

Fortunately for me, I knew I could manoeuvre around the rooms easily- I knew the layout as if it were drawn on the back of my hand. I had grown up in these rooms. I had played, I had fought and I had cried in these rooms. Maybe even in this room specifically- not that the dim light was helping me solve the puzzle of what room it was. []

Before Jace had come, when I was eleven, I had slept and sometimes even trained in these rooms. They were filled with small and insignificant memories but to me, it was a happy time. Of course, Jace is my parabatai and brought light to my life but before then, everything had been so simple. We could only train, there were no runes back then. It felt human...and being human was so simple, so simple that I missed it.

I traced the room with my finger, searching for little scraps of my old stuff. I came across a few pieces of homework and even a small toy that I never liked but nothing striking came out. It was cleared surprisingly thoroughly.

I finally went to the door and pushed it open. It didn't move an inch. I pulled, hoping it was just a mistake but it wouldn't budge either way.

I kicked it, hoping the hinges would loosen but nothing worked. I wondered how even got into the room, the last thing I remembered was...the trap.

I screamed out in frustration, kicking the door once again. This time, a lot harder. Nothing happened.

Nothing ever happened.

For hours, minutes or maybe just seconds, nothing happened.

~M~

I woke up, after running to follow Alec. Hoping that he wouldn't be tormented alone but as I saw, I was already alone. 'Alec!' I called out but gained no answer in return. 'Alec!' I screamed, fearful of where he could be. 'Alec, please!' I pleaded, begging for an answer.

Nothing came.

'Alec.' I whispered, still no answer- but of course he would not hear my last cry. My plan came into action only minutes later, a plan that proved my obliviousness to my surroundings- I went and knocked on every door.

Of course, if you were rational, you would search for any signs of sound or movement but in my state of utter terror, it led me to that moment.

Knock. No answer.

Knock. Nothing.

Knock? This was going to be a while.

Five knocks later. Emptiness.

But, on the ninth- bang. It didn't seem to be in response to my knock, in fact, they almost happened at the same time.

The crash was loud, louder than expected. Someone's full force had been put against the door, someone was trying to break it down- Alec.

Although, there was still a problem. If he could not hear me only nine doors down as I screamed as loud as a man could, how would he hear me now?

I knocked again, no answer. The room was being protected, that much was clear. Was I even sure it was Alec? Jace could be in there too. 'Alec!' I called out, my voice wavering in panic. 'Alec, please!' I begged. No answer.

I was alone.

I was without Alec and I was scared. I banged on the door, again, again, again. Nothing...again. 'Alec. I know you probably can't hear me but I'm begging you, please just answer.' I had never felt so useless in my life. My first time I could truly show Alec my feelings was lost as one barrier stood between us. I raised my palm, blue sparks flickering from my fingertips. I tried to detect magic and couldn't seem to find anything. There was only one thing that I couldn't seem to trace, runes. That meant only one thing- Valentine.

I smashed my fist on the door, letting it crack under my fist. Wait, crack? I looked over to see the door splinter. Immediately I pressed my hand to it, there was a crack. The door was destructible. I didn't care how long it would take to smash the stupid door down, knowing that my magic couldn't solve anything this time, I would do it: I would do it to prove Alec wrong. I wasn't selfish for the ones I care about and I could prove that.

And so, I began breaking the doorframe down one crack at a time.

~A~

I slammed against the door again. Crack. I peered over my shoulder and there it was- a crack. I traced the line with my finger and smiled. I could break free. I would be able to save them. My instincts set in and I kicked the door letting splinters fly to the ground.

I kicked with as much force as I could muster and it worked, slowly, the door was coming down.

A small smile formed on his face. If there was one thing Alec could be motivated by, it was Hope.

Alec hated the idea of hope, it always let him down...but now, there was a glimpse and that was the only thing giving him strength. So, he let it.

word count: 1008

edit 1 - ? - new word count - 1346