Chapter three.

They say witches were the most fearsome creatures Itavelle had to offer. Some say they were ugly females, obsessed with vengeance. Some say they are beautiful and fair women, blessed with magical gifts. But the last of the witches died with the Salem Clan, centuries ago. But when a man appeared with tremendous magical gifts appeared, claiming to be a descendant of witches themselves, people rallied. A couple more so called witch descendants appeared and they became the new founders of Salem. They rose The Salem Clan from the ashes, and now they burned brighter than ever. Only accepting males into their ranks for unknown reasons. Alex wanted more than anything to join them.

The carriage rattled, making my pounding headache only worse. Realizing what had happened, I began to panic, sitting up right and gazing around with frantic eyes.

"They look like the Jade Palace," someone said from across the carriage. He was tall, almost having to hunch down in the small space. His blonde hair was pulled back from his tan youthful face. At my attention, he grinned.

"That," I said hoarsely. So I hadn't imagined it, I had been screaming. "Someone has said that to me before. What is that?"

The male laughed. "It's a place in Anthea, very beautiful like those eyes of yours," he explained, and in normal circumstances, I would have brought myself to blush. I gazed to my right to see none other than Commander Kel dozing off against the side of the carriage, his black cloak wrapped around his large body. I scooted as far away as I could.

Across from me, the blonde laughed. "He means well really," he said with a smirk as he gazed at the sleeping man. "A lot less scary than he looks. He has the soul of a child. When he doesn't get his way, he has the tendency to take things a little too far." He turned back to me with a dazzling smile. "How rude of me. I'm Maxwell, but you can call me Max." He went to put out a hand and I just glared at it, he nodded and pulled away. "You're Alina, right?"

I nodded numbly, remembering the somewhat fake identity I took on. "Where are you taking me?" I questioned, before looking out the carriage window. Forest lines either side, dark and twisted beyond the line of the road. The path beneath us was flattened from so many treks over it, and I knew where we were before he said it.

"We're on Iter Road on our way to Anthea."

I was going back. I was going back to that city of beauty and magic. Back to that city that had so many fond memories. Back to that city that threw my brother and I onto Iter Road when our parents died, with a small pouch of gold coins and directions to the nearest village. I felt like I was going to be sick. "How much longer?" How much longer did I have to prepare myself?

"About an hour," Max said with a natural smile. "You were out for a good five hours. You must have really needed some sleep." He chuckled, leaning back on the cushioned bench.

I swallowed, my throat dry and my stomach empty. I didn't want to ask about food, but as if he had read my mind, he pulled out a satchel and tossed it to me. "Eat up."

I thanked him under my breath. Pulling out a canteen of water, I chugged some down. When I was satisfied. I put the cap back on, returning it to the bag. I knew Max was silently watching my every move. I finally met his gaze. "Are you... One of them?"

He smirked at me and I scowled. He silently pulled back the long sleeve of his tunic, revealing a black Witch's knot on his forearm. "I was raised into it. My father was an important commander, so when he died, I was taken in by them"

I resisted the urge to scoff. His father died and they took him in with open arms. My parents died and they throw us out of the city because we have no connections or use. I just nodded as politely as I could. "Why?" I blurted out. "Why me? What did I do?"