Lovely

"Sam, something is obviously on your mind," Jennifer said suspiciously, looking up from the painting she was working on. She only painted as a hobby, despite the fact that I personally thought she was good enough to be in an art gallery.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I responded indignantly, taking another bite of my cereal.

"There's no milk in the bowl."

My cheeks flushed a brilliant shade of red when I realized she was right.

Damn. I have it bad.

Saturday finally came and to say I was excited was an understatement. It was the day I could actually go see Josh practice with Tyler. I convinced Jennifer to go with me as well, in the case a certain Jack decided to drop by.

After I poured some milk in my bowl to eat my cereal properly, I had to tell her.

     "Josh and I kissed yesterday," I finally confessed with a grin.

     "Tell me everything," she demanded instantly, setting her paintbrush aside.

     I told her the events of the previous day. She scolded me for not calling her, but was very happy that Josh was there for me.

     "You two are so cute. When are you going to make it official?" she asked. I shrugged.

     "Guess we'll have to wait and see," I replied.

Although it was decided by fate that Josh was my soulmate and I do really like him, it doesn't mean that we could fall in love with each other instantly. Love takes time. I didn't want him to feel rushed into a relationship.

After we spent a majority of the day watching the Nightmare Before Christmas and other Halloween movies (tis the season), it was time to head to Josh's practice. I asked Josh for the address, and he responded right away. It was only a few minutes from my place.

     We got to Tyler's house, which is where they usually play. I knocked on the door and was greeted by a guy with lightly tanned skin, fluffy hair, and some of the most interesting tattoos I had ever seen in my life.

     "Hi, you must be Sam," he said with a smile. His voice wasn't anything like I expected. It was soft and soothing.

     "Yes, how did you know that?" I said with a confused giggle.

     "The hair gave it away, and Josh talks about you so much I could have picked you out from a room full of people," he responded with a chuckle.

     Josh appeared behind him, blushing furiously.

     "He's kidding," he said quickly.

     "Actually I'm not. I'm Tyler by the way," Tyler said, extending his hand.

     "Nice to meet you," I said, my face feeling very hot. I hadn't expected Tyler to be so...sassy. I liked him immediately. I reached out and shook his hand.

     I gestured behind me and said, "This is my best friend Jennifer."

     "Hi," she waved.

     Tyler ushered us inside and after offering us drinks, we walked to the backyard.

     A drum kit was all set up, as well as a keyboard, what I recognized to be a synthesizer, a ukulele, and a bass guitar.

     Standing a little ways away were four guys, who I presumed were Josh and Tyler's friends. Not wanting to be rude, Jennifer and I walked up to them to introduce ourselves.

     "Hi, I'm Sam and this is my friend Jennifer," I beamed.

     "Sam huh? Nice to finally meet you. Josh won't shut up about you. I'm Brendon," a guy with dark hair and a big forehead said, extending his hand. I shook it and smiled widely, looking around to the other members of their little clique.

     A guy in a fedora stood next to Brendon, smiling warmly. "I'm Patrick."

     "Dallon," a guy with semi-long hair said simply.

     "I'm Pete," said the last guy wearing skinny jeans and had his black hair cut into a faux hawk.

     "Well now that all the introductions have been made, I guess we can start practice now," Tyler said, clasping his hands together.

     He and Josh headed towards their instruments and we all pulled chairs up and sat down.

     "Did you want to play any song in particular?" Tyler asked Josh.

     Josh thought about it for a moment and beckoned for Tyler to lean in. He whispered something into his ear. Tyler laughed and nodded his head. He walked over to the synthesizer and started playing a tune.

You say things with your mouth
Cobwebs and flies come out
I hear a second voice behind your tone
somehow
Luckily I can read your mind
Flies and cobwebs unwind
They will not take you down
They will not cast you out
Dear friend, here we are again pretending
To understand how you think your world is ending
Sending signals and red flags in waves
It's hard to tell the difference between blood and water these days
I'll pray that one day you see
The only difference between life and dying
Is one is trying, that's all we're going to do
So try to love me and I'll try to save you.
Won't you stay alive
I'll take you on a ride
I will make you believe you are lovely.

I was enchanted. Tyler's voice was so melodic and beautiful. Josh complimented Tyler's voice with his drums perfectly. They both absolutely radiated enthusiasm and passion.

I looked over to Jennifer, who had an approving smile on her face. There was no doubt these two were extremely talented.

I would sell my soul to hear twenty one pilots play lovely live. I relate to that song so much, on so many levels.