A Few of My Favorite Things

A few weeks passed by. The air was starting to get chilly. It was officially autumn, one of my favorite seasons. I decided to take a walk around a park near my apartment to get some fresh air. I had been working a lot lately and felt that I needed to unwind.

     I hadn't seen Josh around in those weeks. I often thought about trying to look for him on social media, but decided against it. In the off-chance I would see him again, I didn't want to accidentally reveal any information I had obtained online. That would just be creepy.

     I grabbed a black jacket and a beanie and walked to the park. It was lovely outside. My boots crunched on the dead leaves on the ground. The sun was getting ready to set. The clouds were beautifully multicolored with pinks and oranges. I sat down on a bench and admired the view. The park had a small pond, whose clear water reflected both myself and the sky.

     I looked around and observed the other people at the park. An elderly couple was a few of benches away from me. They were enveloped in conversation, holding hands. I smiled happily. I hoped I could have a future like theirs one day.

     At the playground, a few little kids were running around and laughing. They looked like they were having the time of their lives. As I was watching them, a little girl tripped over something and fell. She started to cry.

     I leapt to my feet but before I could get there, a little boy ran up to her.

     "Don't cry, I'll help make you feel better," he said, as he extended his hand to help her up.

     She took his hand and stood shakily.      

     "Thank you for helping me," she sniffed, wiping her eyes on her sleeve.

     As they little boy opened his mouth to reply, his eyes widened in shock. Words were beginning to form on the little girl's forearm. Don't cry, I'll help make you feel better. He looked at her thoughtfully and lifted his shirt sleeve slightly. Thank you for helping me could be seen under the sleeve.

     They simply stared at one another for a few moments. Then they ran off and started playing as if nothing happened. I was completely mind blown. These two children, probably no older than seven or eight years old, had already found each other.

     The more I thought about it, the happier I became. I was ecstatic that I got to witness something so special. Something so organic, as Jennifer would say. Of course, they were too young to understand what it all meant. For right now, they only needed to enjoy their youth. Love would come in due time, even if it already found them.

     I continued to watch the various people of the park. A jogger and her dog were running the perimeter of the park. Two teenagers were riding around on bikes. Directly across from me, on the other side of the pond, I spotted someone with bright red hair.

     He was lying on the grass with his hands under his head. I inhaled sharply. My breath caught in my throat. It was Josh. How cliche.

I feel like there should be an accent on the word cliche but I'm too lazy to check.