60 │confession

Red and blue reflects from his watery eyes as Riley continues to talk, the beacons still flashing from the several police cars parked along the street and in the driveway. Casey stares at him, not hearing a single word coming from his mouth nor the noise from the commotion surrounding them. He lost her moments ago when he mentioned the accident—the night he was involved in the death of an innocent young boy. Everything all at once is suddenly processing through her mind and she doesn't know what to think or believe anymore. She looks around, glancing over at her front porch to see the officers and detectives gathering their equipment as they finally prepare to leave the house.

"I'm really sorry that I didn't tell you. I was scared. Scared that if I got you involved—" He stops himself, realizing that the fact that perhaps because he didn't tell her, that may have been what really put her in danger. If he would have said something, she could have been prepared. Even if it resulted in her ending their relationship, wouldn't that have put her in a safer position? "I'm sorry. Please forgive me, Casey."

She stares blankly at him, unable to believe the words pouring out of his mouth. Her eyes gaze past him and to Peyton, still sitting on the edge of the ambulance with the blanket wrapped over her shoulders. Then Casey remembers the killer, standing just mere inches away from her sister. She remembers the knife as it was slowly raised it in the air, the killer lurking behind Peyton as he approached her bedside.

"The accident... It was just an accident, Casey." Already knowing what must be going through her mind, Riley pleads as he pulls in closer to her. "We didn't mean to—"

Cutting him off, Casey turns back to face him. "You need to go."

"What?" He shakes his head, sniffing as his nose begins to run.

"You need to leave. Now."

Crying, he reaches for her hand. "Casey, please—"

"LEAVE!" She screams, pushing him away as she takes a step back. She wipes a fallen tear from her cheek, trying her best to stay composed in front of Peyton.

Officers passing by stop to look at them. Peyton lifts her head up, confused as to what is going on as she snugs the blanket tighter around her shoulders.

Riley slowly pulls his hand back, not sure what he can possibly say to make any of this better. As much as he doesn't want to believe it, he knows deep down that there's nothing he can do at this point. Looking into her cold glare, he feels like she is looking upon him as if he was the person underneath the mask and, in this moment, he doesn't feel much different from the lunatic. He might as well have been the one holding the knife...

Deputy Bennett approaches them, his hand grazing against the handle of his holstered gun. He is clearly still on guard. "Is there a problem over here?"

Still glaring at him, Casey contemplates on whether or not to tell the truth to the police. Although she knows it would be the right thing to do, she can't find it in her to do that to Riley. Or Taylor. Or any of them really. That is their burden to carry and she wants no part of it. Then she thinks about Kris and how all of this, what that one night alone caused, has impacted her. She almost lost her little sister tonight, but—because of them—Kris actually lost her little brother.

"No. Riley was just leaving." Casey takes another step back, trying not to apply too much pressure to her swollen ankle.

"Casey—" Before Riley can attempt to follow her, a hand reaches up to block his chest and he looks over at a serious Bennett.

Picking up on the tension, Bennett tilts his head toward Riley's car parked in the drive. "That your car?"

Looking back to see Casey turn around, he nods as he watches her limp back toward the ambulance to sit next to Peyton. He can't help but feel more tears coming and rubs at his eyes anxiously, thinking of what words he can say to make this alright. But there is none.

"I'll get those squad cars out of your way." Bennett say, grabbing Riley's arm to pull him toward the drive. Still resistant, it takes a good pull before Riley budges from his spot on the curb and stumbles away to follow him.

As Peyton holds the blanket out to give Casey some room to squeeze underneath it, Casey wraps her right arm around Peyton and lets out a heavy sigh. She knows immediately that she can't tell her sister what is going on. The last thing she wants is to worry her or, worse, get her further involved.

"Why is Riley leaving? I thought he was staying with us." Peyton asks inquisitively, fearing that the attack may be the least of their problems. "Is everything okay?"

Sniffing, Casey still manages to refrain from crying as she leans her head against her sister's shoulder. She watches as Bennett escorts Riley to his car, nearly forcing him to get into the driver's seat. "Yeah. It will be."

Staring at her through the rearview mirror, Riley doesn't want to leave her side. Especially not now. From the other side of the windshield, Bennett makes an aggravated gesture with his arm as he again signals him to leave. Sighing, Riley shifts the gear into reverse and, as he backs out of the driveway, thinks of a way to make things right.

♫ ɪᴛ ᴇɴᴅs ᴛᴏɴɪɢʜᴛ / ᴛʜᴇ ᴀʟʟ-ᴀᴍᴇʀɪᴄᴀɴ ʀᴇᴊᴇᴄᴛs ♫