Chapter 8: We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

Alix nudged my shoulder to break me from my thoughts. I shook my head and diverted my eyes to the ground when I realized that I had been staring at Aleksander like a creep.

"You know," Alix whispered in my ear, "He is your boyfriend. You're the one girl in the world who isn't reduced to staring and fantasizing, you can actually reach out and touch him."

I choked back a laugh and reminded myself that now was not the time to be laughing. Jaxon let out a small chuckle at his sister's expense. I was grateful that Moria and Aleksander were completely oblivious to our exchange. In one day, Aleksander had managed to successfully make a girl fall in love with him. Simply holding hands had hurt and angered Moria, I didn't want to think about how badly she would take it if she learned Aleksander and I were dating. People like her, outsiders dying for a chance to fit in, get hurt often over the smallest things. I knew personally how she felt, because once upon a time I was the same way.

"The dining hall is beautiful, isn't it?" Moria asked.

She beckoned for us to emerge from the safety of the doorframe's looming shadow.

"Follow me. There must be one free table in this room."

My eyes flickered to the rowdy crowd before I took a hesitant step forward. The second my foot stepped into the dining hall, the conversations faded to silence. Curious eyes turned their full attention on my friends and I. It seemed like just as soon as the conversations stopped, whispers erupted. No matter where we went, we would always be the subject of gossip.

I quickly looked back at the floor when a pair of coal eyes focused on my face. Aleksander gripped my hand tightly as Moria led us through the rows of tables. I was too focused on not looking at Bob, I didn't realize that Aleksander had broken away from the group and was leading me towards the platform. I tugged at his hand, when our feet reached the edge of the first step. Curiosity burned within everyone in the room. Half of the student body was laughing to themselves, thinking we were fools for walking up to the platform. Others were waiting for a new piece of juicy gossip to be dropped onto their plates.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

"Finding a place to sit," he replied.

An audible gasp echoed throughout the room as Aleksander placed his foot on the step and walked through the barrier without any resistance. Narrowing my eyes, I followed him but only because I wanted to keep him safe if Bob decided to attack. We walked onto the platform, hand in hand and weaved our ways through the royal tables until we found two empty seats. Conversations became increasingly louder as we took our seats. The royals were too shocked to even respond.

Lowering my voice to the quietest octave, I asked. "What's going on, Alek?"

He shrugged.

Two silver platters appeared in front of us. Aleksander lifted the bubble dishes and began feasting on his breakfast. I gritted my teeth and followed his actions. The food looked edible. There were slices, eggs, and an assortment of colorful fruit. Playing it safe, I grabbed a strawberry and nibbled on it while I tried to tap into my bond with Aleksander. If he was going to play dirty and keep things from me than I was going to do the same.

"You're feeling betrayed and angry," Aleksander noted in between bites. "That's never a good combination."

I opened my mouth, to tell him that he was the cause of my anger but he placed his finger of my lips.

"Before you start raging, remember that you were the one that hid something from me first. Apparently honesty isn't the best policy, not in this relationship."