Chapter 33

Stormy gaped out the windshield of Brian's truck at the swarm of cars parked on the lawn and along both sides of the road.

"There must be a hundred people here," she breathed, as panic began to well up inside her.

"I told you, my sister goes all out on these things," Brian reminded her, standing outside her open window. He reached into the bed of the truck and heaved an enormous cooler out onto the sidewalk. "Besides, somebody's got to eat all this food you made!"

"I didn't want to come empty-handed," she said numbly, still frozen in her seat.

Brian smiled and pulled her door open. "C'mon, you'll be fine," he assured her, helping her out of the truck and then lifting Angus from the seat and lowering him the ground. Brian swung the door closed and started across the lawn, pulling the cooler behind him and motioning for her to follow. "I promise nobody will bite you!"

The first few minutes were a whirlwind of greetings and introductions, so many that Stormy didn't have time to be anxious. They finally managed to track down Brian's sister, Beth, who gave Stormy a warm welcome and immediately whisked her away for still more introductions. Beth worked as a nurse at Houlton Regional, and her husband, Henry, was an ER doctor, so when all was said and done, Stormy felt as if she had met the entire hospital staff. Everybody was really nice, and those who had been privy to Stormy's recent brush with celebrity were kind enough to reserve comment, but it was still a lot to take in. Stormy's head was just beginning to spin when Beth had to excuse herself to the kitchen, refusing Stormy's offer of help and insisting that she stay outside and enjoy the party. Stormy hovered on the sidelines, looking around for Brian or Ray or some other familiar face when she spotted Amy and her husband Steve, sitting at a table and laughing in the shade of a huge maple tree. Amy had the baby balanced on her lap, and the two older kids were running circles around the trunk of the tree. Stormy reluctantly checked her pride and started slowly across the grass.

She stopped a few feet from their table. "Hey," she said softly.

Amy and Steve looked up simultaneously, and then Amy looked away. Steve stood and swept the baby up in his arms.

"You must be Stormy," he said, rising to offer a handshake and a sympathetic smile. "I'll give you two some time alone."

He called out to the kids and led them away to another part of Beth and Henry's vast backyard. Stormy watched as they walked away and then sat down in the seat that Steve had vacated. Amy kept her eyes fixed on the table, her lips drawn into a thin line.

Stormy sighed and looked out over the yard, catching sight of Brian just as he spied her. He did a double take when he saw her sitting with Amy and a slow smile spread across his face.

Talk to her, he mouthed, making a talking motion with his hand and pointing to Amy.

I will, she mouthed emphatically, crossing her eyes at him.

He winked and gave her an encouraging nod, and then moved away, casting one last glance back over his shoulder. She followed him with her eyes until he merged in with the other partygoers, and then turned her attention back to Amy.

"You were right," Stormy said, extending the proverbial olive branch. "About Gage."

Amy snorted. "Tell me something I don't know," she answered snidely.

"I should have listened," Stormy proffered. "And I'm a dumbass."

"I said something I don't know," Amy mumbled, biting back a smile. She sighed and turned to face Stormy. "So what'd the little prick do this time?"

"Long story short, he tried to get in my pants," Stormy said. "Less than two hours after a very public kiss-off from his wife!"

"Oh, my gawd!" Amy breathed. "I heard about that! Why is it that all the really good stuff happens when I'm not there? Give me the details, right now!" And just like that, they were back to being friends.

Hours later, with the food eaten and the tables cleared, the crowd had thinned somewhat and Stormy stood on the patio that overlooked the backyard, her forearms resting on the top railing as she surveyed the post-barbecue activities being played out on the grass below. Some of the men were tossing a football around, progressing toward the inevitable game of touch and/or tackle football that always seemed to come about at these kinds of gatherings. Wives and girlfriends, who tomorrow would be dispensing Tylenol and muscle cream to their weekend quarterbacks, now lounged together in small groups, sharing the latest gossip and good-naturedly griping about their men. Children of all ages ran wildly in every direction, engaged in various states of play. Squeals of delight rang out from the area of the Cedarworks swing set, where Brian was giving underdogs to a growing line of kids. He seemed to be having just as much fun as they were, and watching him, Stormy couldn't help but smile.

"He really has a way with kids, doesn't he?" Beth said, suddenly standing right beside her. Stormy turned and smiled, then glanced back at Brian and the kids.

"Apparently so," she laughed, then turned back to face Beth. "Thank you so much for having me, Beth. I've had such a great time, and your husband and kids are wonderful."

"Oh, anytime! I'm glad you came!" Beth paused, a hint of warning seeping into her voice as she continued. "My brother is pretty wonderful, too."

"Yes... he is," Stormy agreed guardedly, sensing the sudden tension in the air.

"I'm glad that you agree," Beth said curtly, turning to lean her back against the railing. "Because then you'll understand where I'm coming from when I say that I don't want to see him get hurt."

"I'm not sure I follow..."

"Look, Stormy. I don't really know you all that well, but you seem like a nice person, and I mean that," Beth said. "I know that you and Brian have been spending time together since you've been back, which is great. But he's been through some really tough times, especially with the whole Tammy situation, and I just don't want to see him get hurt again."

Stormy stared down at the grass below her and shook her head in disbelief.

Why does everybody in this damn town think I'm on the prowl? she wondered to herself. She turned and looked Beth square in the eye.

"You're right, your brother is a great guy," Stormy said. "He's been a big help to my father, and he's been really nice to me since I've been back in town. And I guess I have been spending a lot of time with him because... well, because we're friends. I know he's been hurt, and I would never do anything to add to that. I don't know why everyone thinks I'm some kind of... man-eater or something! But the only guy I'm concerned with right now is my father, and I'm only here until he can manage on his own. As soon as he's in the clear, I'm out of here—guaranteed!"

Beth nodded and smiled apologetically. She cast a glance over her shoulder at her brother, still pushing kids on the swings.

"Does he know that?" she asked quietly, then groaned and shook her head. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. It's none of my business. Brian's a big boy, and he can take care of himself."

"Are you saying that for my benefit or yours?" Stormy smiled.

"Both, I think!" Beth laughed, then pushed off the railing and walked toward the sliding glass doors of the house. "Come on, Man-eater, I think there's a chocolate cake in here with our names on it!"