Chapter 12

Stormy was having a great time, and her earlier trepidation about coming was completely forgotten as she got caught up on the lives of her former friends and classmates. She was especially happy to see Amy, who, as it turns out, had never harbored even a moment's ill-will toward Stormy for leaving the way she did.

"Actually, it was a bit disappointing," Amy had joked. "I always pictured you going out in a hail of gunfire or something. But just driving off in your little Honda, like it was any other day? Very anti-climactic, I have to say..."

Stormy smiled again as she replayed the words in her head. Yes, it was proving to be a great night after all, and the only damper on the whole situation seemed to be Brian Lozier. She just couldn't figure him out! He invited her to come, but ever since she had arrived, it seemed as if he was doing everything in his power to make her feel unwelcome. First, when she had initially entered the back room, Stormy had seen him standing beside the pool table, and the expression on his face did not portray happiness to see her. Then, there was that snide comment about the wine, implying that she saw herself as 'too good' to drink beer. And just now, as she sat huddled in the corner booth poring over pictures of Amy's kids, Stormy caught him staring at her again from across the room, looking as if he wanted to vomit.

Seriously, what is his problem?  she fumed.

"Damn," Amy muttered, glancing at her watch. "I've got to take off."

Stormy could tell that her friend was anxious to get home to her husband, who had graciously offered to stay home with the kids so that she could have a much-needed night out with friends, and she briefly thought how nice it must be to have someone you love to go home to. Shrugging off that improbability in her own life, Stormy walked with Amy to the front exit.

"Call me!" Amy ordered her, giving Stormy a quick hug before slipping her jacket on. "I mean it! I want you to come over and meet Steve and the kids."

Stormy promised she would and, after Amy had departed, snaked her way around the bar for a quick trip to the Ladies' Room. She passed Ray and Linda on her way back to the table, and they paused to say their goodbyes before heading home themselves. When Stormy reached the booth at the back room, only Brian was left.

"Where'd everybody go?" Stormy asked.

"Home," Brian said, not looking at her as he took a sip of water. "They all have to work in the morning."

"Oh," Stormy said, feeling somewhat deflated as she lowered herself into the booth on the opposite side. She didn't want the night to end just yet. "Don't you? Have to work tomorrow, I mean..."

He smiled, sort of. "I have to work every day," he said, although he didn't sound bitter. "That's life on a farm." He motioned toward her empty glass. "You want to stay for one more?"

"Sure," she shrugged, grateful for a reason to stay a bit longer. He motioned for the waitress to bring two more pints and handed her a fresh coaster. Stormy regarded him curiously.

He seems fine now, she observed. Maybe I am imagining things.

A few moments later, with fresh beers and a bowl of popcorn between them, Stormy took a stab at conversation by asking Brian how his older sister was doing these days.

"You don't like to talk about yourself, do you?" He sprawled out over the bench seat, one arm stretched lazily along the padded backrest as he studied her from across the table.

Stormy blinked. "What do you mean?"

"I mean that you don't like to talk about yourself," he repeated. "I watched you tonight ask all about everyone else's lives—their parents and kids and work—but you never once said anything about your own life and whatever it is that you do."