Chapter Two

Dr John Watson sat at the table, pen in hand.  It was his practice to take notes while the memory was fresh of any conversation with a client when possible.  Often, it was not, as Sherlock could erupt in a whirl of energy without warning and off the pair would go to some part of England or beyond in pursuit of their new mystery.

Watson pondered the Abernetty case so far, not in terms of its solution or facts, but in terms of writing.  The man's statement had been fairly concise and to the point, but was it dramatic enough?  Certainly his revelation of the mummy's movements was exciting, but could the client's statement be expanded?  It would not be the first time, truth be told.  Watson had several times in the past embellished statements, bringing more drama and detail, moving sentences around, and especially in the case of some of their clients, clarifying and smoothing their narration.

Some of the more emotionally distressed clients, or those with poorer educations had been difficult to understand or follow without extensive questioning and repetition -- neither of which was especially pleasing to readers.  Watson had needed to edit and restate their comments in a more clear, sequential order.  Sherlock had complained in the past that this stripped the person out of their statements, which had taken Watson by surprise.

"Surely of all people, I should think you would appreciate brevity and clarity, particularly when it comes to a statement of facts for a case," Watson had said.

"Indeed, I do appreciate those aspects, yet in the case of humanity, it is their person, that which makes them who they are," Sherlock replied.   "Even their weaker, and perhaps uglier aspects, tells me the most of their lives.  Indeed, a man who speaks with such a heavy patois or regional accent they are barely comprehensible tells me much about their life and patterns.

"It is not only the bare facts and raw scientific mechanism by which I am able to formulate a solution, my dear Watson.    While I do admire and apply deductive reasoning to do my job, that is but one tool.  I do focus on it, for it is a very powerful tool, when possible.  Yet there are many tools a truly skilled detective must employ.  Knowing about a person's tendencies, background, and inclinations informs me of what they may or may not do, and why."

Watson sat a moment and thought.  "Yes, that does make sense, yet if a reader must wade through ten pages of a weeping client repeating themselves because we cannot understand them, or meandering through all manner of nonsense and side issues, they will tend to become disinterested."

"Well as to that," Sherlock replied, "I leave you to your craft.  I merely state that if all your clients sound the same, it disguises many clues a reader might have gleaned which they now cannot."

Colin Abernetty's account was quiet sparse and bare of facts, Watson decided.  As more arose in the case, Watson decided he would slip them into the initial statement, to give it greater weight and breadth.  His readers had come to expect that from a Sherlock Holmes case.

The weather was warm, and Watson dressed in a light overcoat and black bowler, so brushed and reshaped it was becoming sadly worn.  Although he had a small income from sales of the adventures of his friend and a small medical practice, Dr Watson had found his money did not stretch far, as he was inclined to extravagance when it came to gifts for women, and in his bachelor years would woo a long string of ladies with what money he could.

Determined to purchase a new hat as soon as possible, Watson hoped no one would look too closely at his bowler as he stepped out to Baker street to hail a Hansom cab.  The light, quick vehicle soon delivered Watson to the British Museum on Great Russell street and then was off with a new passenger nearly as fast as Watson could pay.  Not for the first time, Dr Watson wondered how one might invest in these popular taxis.