Chapter 1: Pay Your Dues

I sat down on the front steps of our tiny townhouse and thought about what I wanted for my birthday. It was coming up in a week anyways.

Judas came and sat next to me with a cigarette in his mouth. It was sad that he was smoking at 14. But that's how our family lived. Mom didn't touch any drugs or alcohol since Dad had left us a while ago because he was a drunk. Although my brothers drank and smoked and lately I had been smoking too.

"How're you doing, Kid?" Judas asked taking a drag on his cigarette.

"As good as you can get in this damned village." I said playing with my fingers.

"Yeah. If Father hadn't left us we'd be fine. But no. The stupid bastard had to go and get drunk and drive away with his bandwagon of whores!"

Judas always got like this when he talked about our father. He just started ranting about how much he hated him. I didn't mind it much since I didn't really remember Father. Which apparently was a blessing.

Judas stomped out his cigarette and looked at me.

"You okay, Jared?" He asked.

"Yeah. I just heard about you getting in trouble for dating that girl... what's her name? Iris!" I replied.

"Sheesh. Can't keep a damn secret in this place, can you?" He sighed.

"Do you love her, Judas?" I said looking up at him.

"I sure think I do. I treat her better than our stupid father did to Mom."

I stood up. "No one was comparing you to Father."

I went inside silently.

Avian was reading in his room. Well... his room and Alexander's. I climbed up next to him.

"What're you reading?" I asked trying to see.

"The Odyssey. Its really complicated but it gives me something to do." He said turning one of the book's torn pages.

"Yeah." I said trying to read it. But he was eleven while I was just nine, I couldn't even attempt to understand such dated language. How Avian understood it. I have no clue.

He was always fascinated with the idea of reading. He did really well in school because of it. He was only in 6th grade but he was probably as smart as an 8th grader. I admired him.

When I was sick of reading I went into the room that my brother, Damon, and I shared. He was practicing his script for a play that our school was performing. Which wasn't too bad I guess, he was a good actor at 10.

I heard Mother calling us and all of my brothers and I ran downstairs. She was standing in the kitchen with some people that I didn't recognize. There was a little girl who looked about 8 or 9, who was wearing a shiny red dress. I liked it. Her hazel eyes looked into my baby blue ones. Avian blushed as he took in the little girl and I believe I might have done the same.

Her parents were dressed all fancy in matching blue outfits. There was a boy who looked about Judas' age standing protectively next to the girl, he glared at Avian.

"Mother? Who are these people?" Alexander asked.

"The Abbots. They live in that big house down a couple of blocks." She said looking a little worried.

"Those people that collect taxes?" Judas snarled and glared at the parents of the little girl.

Mother nodded and said. "They wish for you five to pay for the window you broke in their mansion."

The father snarled. "And if you can't cough up the money I'll send you all to prison for abusing property!"

Damon and I quickly dug into our pockets and pulled out two pounds each. Avian pulled out five, Richard pulled out two and Alexander pulled out seven.

Judas didn't even flinch.

The father's tone scared me at his next question. "You too, Boy! Don't just stand there like a damned fool!"

Judas looked ready to slaughter this man.

"Judas, Sweetie..." Mom said shaking. "Give him the money."

"No. Everyone else in this town may treat him like a king but he's just an insolent bastard!" He yelled.

The father grabbed Judas by his hair and slammed him into the wall. Mother started crying.

The little girl looked frightened at her father's violent action. The mother wasn't even paying attention and was fanning herself. The brother looked like he wished to aid his father.

The father yanked Judas up by his collar and spat in his face.

"You peasants sicken me." He murmured and grabbed all of the money out of Judas' coat and exited with his family.