Twenty One

The clock ticked to midnight, and Eleven was wide awake in her bed in the basement. She rolled on to her side and sighed. She didn't quite know why she was so restless, but she just couldn't sleep. She also didn't know why she disliked Max so much, it was the same feeling she had with Jennifer. Eleven didn't like it. She was still learning about emotions and feelings so she didn't understand them all quite yet.

Eleven groaned. She knew she wasn't going to fall asleep just laying there so she pushed off the covers and padded upstairs. She stubbed her toe on the doorframe into the kitchen and held in a "shit!" (A word she learned from Mike, even though she's still not 100% sure what it means) She grabbed a cup from the cupboards and filled it with water, and walked out to the living room. She took a sip and looked at the frames on the mantel. She smiled as she picked up a recent one of the Wheeler's family portrait, plus Eleven. She was so happy when they wanted her to be in the picture.

Eleven looked around and could've sworn something was off but she couldn't place what it was. She was still starting at the mantel in the darkness when Mike came up behind her.

"Hey." He said and put his hand in hers. Eleven turned around and smiled softly. "Hi. Did I wake you up?" She asked. Mike shook his head. "No, I couldn't sleep." Eleven sighed, "Yeah me neither."

Mike pulled her into an awkward side hug, and they stayed like that for a while until Mike said, "We should probably try to sleep, we have school tomorrow." Eleven nodded. "Yeah..." She said as he started walking upstairs. "Mike wait!" She called after him. He turned around. "Yeah?" He asked. She hesitated. "Will you stay with me?"

Eleven woke up to the sound of her alarm going off and groaned. She didn't get a lot of sleep last night. Mike and Eleven had talked for awhile before drifting off. They talked about everything. Dustin's weird obsession with pudding. Lucas's obvious crush on Max. Nancy and Jonathan finally being together.

Eleven looked to her left and and saw Mike curled up next to her and smiled. She could get used to this.

"Mike. Get up. Mikeeee!" Eleven said poking his arm. He mumbled, "Leave me alone." Eleven laughed. "Mike get up we have to go to school!" Mike sighed and pushed off the blanket. "Yeah yeah yeah."

Half an hour later, the two had gotten dressed and ready, and we're now scarfing down a pile of eggos. Nancy walked downstairs, and noticed them. "Hey did one of you get up last night?" She asked. Eleven's face turned bright red and she looked down at her plate. "Nope!" Mike answered, his mouth full of waffle. Nancy looked confused. "Huh, I could've sworn I heard talking and footsteps. Guess I must've been dreaming." She said before walking into the living room.

Mike and Eleven looked at each other and let out a laugh. Mike looked at the clock. "Crap we gotta go! Come on!" He said pulling Eleven out of her chair. "But...my waffles?!" She whined. "We'll make more tonight. The guys are coming over and everyone can have some!" He said. She smiled. Mike yelled a goodbye and they ran out the front door and hopped on their bikes, where Max had been waiting.