• SEVENTEEN •

I swallow as I glance around nervously. There are far too many people in this room for me to be at ease. Valor pats my back reassuringly, probably aware of my unease.

I force myself to relax just a bit when my eyes land on Reid. He's cool as a cucumber while I feel like a deer out in the woods sure a lion is crouching behind a tree and can pounce on me any moment now.

Reid gives me a small smile and I nod back almost imperceptibly. I'm in this now and there's nothing I can do to escape. From the look and behavior of the people around me, I have no doubt they'd kill me if I ever left, or even attempted to.

"So, Quintasha Linck, that's your name, am I right?" a burly blonde man who's at least six inches taller than me. His very presence radiates power and indomitability.

When I timidly nod, he continues, identifying himself as the second in command of The Squad. He is to be addressed only as Ronan.

He briefs me on my responsibilities and duties from now on. Strict rules are laid out to be followed at all times.

"You will not be excused for breaking any rule. Remember that consequences will be quite grave," he snarls, glaring not-so-subtly at Reid whose eyes widen as he drops his head.

"Satan forbid you fail to live up to the mark, it won't be a very rosy picture. Welcome to The Squad!" he ends with a light tone that immediately sets off my inner alarm. Something's very wrong.

Ronan looks at me expectantly and I force a smile to fill my face as I nod, faking excitement.

"That's the response I was waiting for," he says, a small smile slightly stretching his lips, looking quite unnatural in a face that seems to have never smiled.

Ronan nods curtly at a couple of the people around who nod in response. A lot of Noddys here...

When Ronan exits, I am engulfed by a huge bear hug from Valor, eliciting giggles from me. Reid seems amused but standoffish. His arms are crossed in front of him and it's clear he's thinking about something that upsets him.

My thoughts of talking to him disintegrate when Valor insists on introducing me to people.

I am sure I will collapse from all the hugs when someone hugs me from behind.

"You have not forgotten me, niña, have you?" a vaguely familiar accented voice asks.

I turn around to see the owner of the voice and immediately find myself wishing I hadn't. How could he have come here?

My eyes appear wide in my reflection in his nearly black eyes. His eyes crinkle as he grins at my reaction.

"I- I thought you-" I stutter, unable to finish my sentence. I desperately struggle to force the words out of my mouth but my tongue fails to articulate a thing.

The presence of a small amount of pressure on my shoulder shakes me out of my daze.

"Are you alright, Tasha?" Reid's voice floats to my ears as though from miles away even though he's right behind me.

No sound escapes my lips as I just stand and stare at the black eyed spawn of Satan standing in front of me.

After maybe a few minutes of awkward silence, I finally find my tongue as I spit out, acid dominant in my voice, "After all this time and all the things you did, you have the audacity to stand here and speak like nothing has changed at all, you demon?!"

He flinches back, my words like a hard slap across his face. He looks at my eyes, his eyes seemingly filling with remorse.

"Stop it, that's enough! I know very much what you're capable of and I'm sick of you acting like you regret anything you ever did!" I spitefully continue.

"Uhm, Tasha, did you know Nikolai before?" Reid asks, an edge of suspicion lining his voice.

"So that's your name now? How normal and boring for you..." I say.

"So you did?" Reid asks, an undecipherable emotion prominent in his voice.

"Unfortunately yes," I sigh.

Reid clears his throat and says in a highly forced voice, "Um so yeah, Nikolai, Quintasha, and Quintasha, Nikolai. Tasha, Nikolai will be your supervisor for your first three months here," he says.

"At least three months, niña," Nikolai says, his eyes lighting up with that sadistic smile I've come to hate.

He nods at Reid who reluctantly walks away.

"Come, niña, let's get to work," he says and pulls me roughly ahead. I plant my feet firmly on the ground so as to keep from being whisked away like a rag doll.

Nikolai turns around and glares at me in such a way that I would certainly drop dead if looks could kill.

And at the moment his fist rises up to make contact with my jaw, I wish I could.

- - - - - - -

Hey, I'm alive!

I will be quite inactive for the rest of October because of my midterms starting twenty fourth and also mostly for November because all my spare time in November will be dedicated to my #NaNoWriMo novel.

I'm so sorry for the delay but I will be back in full force after November, plus I might also post my #NaNoWriMo novel here...

Thank you so much for your patience!

- - - - - - -

The Missing Linckजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें