Seven

"Hi David," I said, trying not to sound defeated. I managed a smile, though it wasn't half as wide as his.

"Can I help you?"

I did laugh, then. A priest aiding a demon. Mortal enemies. Mortal. Maybe I was spending too much time in this body and doing too many 'normal' things. Mortal was growing on me. Like mould.

"Do I amuse you?" he asked, settling down next to me.

"Not at all," I said. "It was resignation, I think."

"And what is it you're resigning from?"

"From the idea I have any control over what I'm trying to do."

He laid his hand on my arm. It felt warm.

"And what is it you are trying to do?"

"You wouldn't believe me, honestly. You really wouldn't. Especially not you."

"Try me," he said quietly.

I shook my head. Telling a man of the church all about my identity and my task was not a good idea. He wouldn't believe me and, if he did, he'd probably try to dunk me in holy water. Sure, sitting where I was and being unharmed was one thing, but I didn't want to push it.

"Then why are you here?"

Because I'm on the run from the police and the hospital and trying to bring about Hell on Earth. Oh, and I'm a demon.

"You really would not believe me. Honestly, I'm fine."

I should have wanted him to go away and leave me, but I was finding his presence oddly comforting. I should have run from the church as quickly as I ran into it. I should have, but I didn't. I sighed and figured I may as well tell all. If anyone would believe me, shouldn't it be him? But where to start?

"I'm a demon," I said.

He didn't say anything as I told him my story. I left nothing out and it felt like such a relief, as if the words had been trapped within me and they were finally free to run around, scampering like rabbits. Eating carrots and lettuce and just missing getting run over by cars on the road, the thrill of each making their tiny hearts flutter just that little bit faster. I personally didn't like lettuce. It was crunchy water, but rabbits would love it and it'd probably be the world to them. Oh, how they had such simple little lives.

"Are you on something?"

Not the response I was after or expecting.

"Pardon?"

"Oh," he said, smoothing down his clothes, picking at non-existent lint. "I just wondered. Something must have triggered these delusions."

"Aren't you meant to be caring and compassionate?"

"And I am, when I'm not being made a fool of. How dare you come into my church and try to make fun out of me or my faith."

I shook my head. I didn't mean to come in here at all, let alone anything else.

"I'm not! This is the truth! I thought you were meant to believe in Heaven and Hell!"

"I do, more or less."

"More or less?" I asked. I was confused. "How can you believe 'more or less'?"

"I have no proof," he said, smiling sadly. "I have my faith, but no proof. As much as I'd like to truly trust in my faith... How can I know for sure?"

Being a demon in human form, I couldn't show him my wings. Once again, I missed them. I also couldn't show him my horns. Turn him inside out? Nope, though that probably wasn't a bad thing as then I'd have shown him proof but he'd be kind of dead. I had only one trick up my mortal sleeve. I took hold of his hand. He looked up at me and then found he couldn't look away.

"Here is your proof," I said.

"Wha...?" he started to say. The word wasn't completed. Instead, drool started to dribble down his chin like the trail of an invisible snail.

I took him on a little trip. He needed no passport and there wouldn't be long queues at immigration. In fact, taking him back home didn't even need a luggage check-in. We didn't actually transport ourselves to Hell. If it had been that easy, The Key wouldn't be needed and I'd be happily tormenting a group of bankers or something. I still had the power, however, to step into his mind just as if it were a changing room at a clothes store. Pull back the curtain, step inside and try his mind on for size, except I'd be letting him try on mine.

He saw the torture. He saw the fires and the hordes and he heard the screams. Ah, it was so nice to be back, even if it was only in my imagination., but I could feel the heat and taste the scorched flesh. I'm sure he could too. Who knew a demon could be homesick?

I released him after only a few seconds. I didn't want to permanently scar him. He was a priest, after all. Besides, I needed his help.

David wiped away the tears which streamed from his eyes. He made no sound of crying. No sobs. He was silent. Thoughtful. Staring up at the crucifix.

"Damn!" he exclaimed suddenly, making me jump. "Well, I guess I know now!"

I was expecting something else. A broken man. His brain oozing out of his ears.

"Pardon?"

"Well," he said, turning to me. "You certainly opened my eyes! I always wanted to believe fully, but it's hard when you don't have something to grip in your bare hands. Now... What can I say? I'm speaking to an actual demon!"

I nodded. I was shocked and was feeling how I'd thought he would - dumbfounded. Where was his horror? Why wasn't he huddled in a ball with his fears creeping from the shadows to torment him?

"Thanks!" he said.

"You're welcome."

What else could I say? I was in the body of a normal man. Dave had no powers or abilities other than knowing how to make fancy patterns in the froth on top of a coffee and how to rewire a plug. Neither was sufficient to save the world or even himself.

"So," said David. "I happen to know the family of the girl. I could help get The Key. Help you open the Gates themselves if you like?"

"No," I said. It had to be me. My task. My success. Not that of some mortal - a priest, for that matter. "Thanks, but I can manage."

He shook his head excitedly.

"It's no bother, honestly. Let me help. Tell you what, I'll get The Key myself. Open the Gates. I say you did it, if you like. Just let me see it. Feel it. Let me know!"

What was going on? He should have been terrified, not acting like he'd just been told it was his birthday and, for a surprise, we were going to Disneyland! He would be meeting the Devil, not Donald Duck! Humans were such a contradictory breed. I would never understand them. Luckily, I didn't need to. Once I had done what I was here to do, I could relax in the havoc which would ensue. It would be fun and games as the world burned. The screams would fill the air like music to my ears. Unlike the ramblings of this madman. Help me? Unlock The Gates himself?

"You can't," I told him. "Only a demon can see The Gates. Only a demon can use The Key."

"OK, at least let me be there. I want to experience it."

I was about to shake my head when he began to shake his, except his was less an indication of negativity and more a frenzied shiver. The trembling increased and moved down until his whole body was convulsing on the floor. He had suddenly become more of a fish out of water than I. I thought about leaving. Letting him have his fit whilst I returned to the girl's house and thought of a plan to retrieve The Key.

I had to go. He'd recover and I'd be gone. Maybe he'd think he had been dreaming. If not, I'd be well on my way back to Hell. I stood and started to walk towards the exit.

"Dave?"