Four

I needed to get high. No, not like that. Demons were not interested in anything which altered their perception of reality. Living where we did, anything which gave you hallucinations couldn't be much worse than what we had. Besides, could you imagine being under the influence of anything and owning horns, talons and a pair of wings? Ouch!

No. A roof. The shopping centre had a multi-storey car park. Two in fact. It was where his... my car was parked, being a 'car park' and all. Sort of obvious, really. I followed the other Dave's internal directions, paying for the ticket which he'd left, as he always did, in his back pocket even though he knew it always slid up while he walked and he had to keep pushing it back down. It gave you 20 minutes to find your car and leave the building. I wouldn't need half that.

Rather than wait for the lift and potentially be crammed in with a load of other mortals, I took the stairs. There were only seven flights. Only. This human I'd taken was clearly out of condition. By the time I had ran up the first floor, getting slower as I ascended (not a word demons get to use very often), I had to take a breath. Maybe I overestimated what humans were capable of. Wings, people! Why don't you just evolve a pair? I eased up on the final stretch, giving me chance to recuperate. I wasn't used to the pounding in my chest. Having a heart was a distinct disadvantage. By the time I'd reached the top floor, passing my car at level two, i was in dire need of a sit down and a drink. Brimstone, I assumed, wasn't something you could buy at Tesco so I'd have to go without. The thought of putting water into my new body was something I couldn't quite comprehend and I didn't have time to find vodka. Hunger pangs were beginning to jab at my stomach making me wish I'd remained in my true form and so what if I scared a few people?

Sigh. Again.

I gathered my thoughts. It didn't take long. I told myself this was just another type of suffering. I'd exchanged Hell for hell. I was a demon and I should just deal with it. Plus, there was a bag of Werthers Originals in the glove compartment of the car. I could munch on them as soon as I knew where I needed to go.

The top floor of the car park was roofless and only a few cars had been left. Most where neatly between the lines apart from one car with some circles on the front grill. It was just over to one side, the wheels on the line to prevent anyone from parking right next to it. I liked this person. The manoeuvre would wind people up but his ego would dismiss it. When I saw him downstairs in a few years, I'd have to mention it. I used his bonnet to climb up onto the wall, leaving a nice shoe-sized dent in the metal. I figured I'd repay him for his wonderfully selfish side.

I looked down. The people were milling about on the street, walking on their way to wherever they had to be. It seemed purposeless. Random and wasteful. There was so little interaction between the individuals it made them look like sand being scattered by the wind. In Hell, everyone had something to do. Suffer or cause suffering. We were never lost in our own existence. I shook my head and looked out over the town. Thankfully, though Dave's nose was physically no match to my own, my sense of smell wasn't impaired in any way. I closed my eyes and sniffed, long and slow. As I breathed in, I turned to take in odours from all directions.

Wings. I may have mentioned what a great idea they are. The problem is, once you have had them, it's easy to forget you no longer do. They're great for heights as it's very unlikely you'll fall. Without them and with the addition of having your eyes closed, it's highly likely you will. And I did. My foot slipped and I felt my stomach leap up to my throat as I dropped off the edge of the wall. Of course, I couldn't have fallen the side where the Audi would have saved me. No, that'd be too easy. I was the other side, the side with no cars and the only floor being a hundred or so feet below. I knew mortal bodies didn't cope well with the impact from such a height from Saturday night games. Luckily, Dave's reflexes were not as ordinary as the rest of him and his hands managed to just catch the lip of the wall. I hung there, gasping for breath. I was smiling. A good dose of terror is easily the best thing to perk you up and I suddenly felt energised.