three

Michael sat cross legged on his hospital bed, dressed in drab hospital gowns. He felt exhausted. All those tests, would they even prove anything? Then again, what was there to prove? He lost his memories, obviously. They knew that. So why should they poke and prod him, put him through numerous machines and ask him questions he didn't have the answers to? He just didn't understand.

He sighed, exhausted, as he heard a light knock on the door. He perked up slightly, wondering who it could be. The door opened, and Luke stepped through, quietly closing the door behind him.

"Hey," he said quietly, his legs crossed and his hands clasped behind him awkwardly. His face was sort of pink, and he seemed to duck his head slightly.

"Hey Luke," Michael replied with a smile.

"You sound different.", Luke supplied with a small quirk at the corner of his mouth. "I like it.", he added.

"I do?", Michael asked puzzled. That didn't make sense, but then again nothing else really did either. Who knows what had changed in the short time he was asleep?

"Definitely. How are you?", he asked, taking a few steps closer. He rested his hands on the foot of the bed, leaning forward slightly.

"Tired of being tested like a lab rat.", Michael chuckled. A deep chuckle, unlike his former whimsical giggle. It was odd, coming from the boy Luke had always known him to be.

"Did they tell you anything new about yourself?", Luke joked, smiling slightly.

"Other than the fact that apparently I'm a freak of nature?", Michael smiled at him. You could see the tiredness in his smile. His eyes had slight bags underneath them, and the exhaustion in his features shown clearly. It even hung on his very frame, dragging him down with it.

"You are not a freak.", Luke shook his head, moving to sit at the foot of the bed now.

"It feels like it. I just feel so useless. I can't remember anything..", he looked down, picking at threads on the blanket beneath him.

"You remember me, and Karen, right?", Luke asked.

"Yeah..", Michael answered quietly.

"Well that's something.", Luke looked at him, lost in seeing him this way. The very way he moved and held him self was different. It was odd and unfamiliar, but something inside of him just caused him to love Michael even more for it. He would always love him, no matter what changed.

"Do you remember anything else?", Luke asked curiously.

"That reminds me...", Michael looked up now, looking Luke in the eye. A sense of seriousness came over him, causing Luke to straighten up and prepare for whatever the fluffy haired boy might say.

Michael took a deep breath, "Do you think you could get them to let me talk to Ashton?"