Chapter Thirteen - Broken

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

..................................................................................................... 

                                                        Chapter Thirteen

                                                                    Broken

I passed by many faces as I followed behind Paul as closely as possible. I wanted Jack to be at my side when I was to see the Keepers again. But Jack was nowhere in sight. He was furious when I last saw him close to our table. He might have gone outside or for a walk. He usually left when he was mad. I just wished it wasn’t when I needed him. I could feel my heart pounding painfully in my chest as we left the huge main room and entered the hallway. Only he and I were in the hall. It made me even more panicky to think that no one knew I had followed Paul out here. What if they decided that my decision wasn’t acceptable? What if they decided to go through with the procedure without my consent? They’ve done it before. Why should I expect anything differently?

We went further through the building, ripping me away from my family and friends. I felt so vulnerable by myself. My hands were trembling and I was going over different ways to break someone’s wrist. Jack taught me all of the ways. But there were five Keepers and one me. I kept thinking of different strategies to take them on. There was always running. I knew without a doubt that I’d be able to outrun them all. Running was my strong point. As cocky as it sounds, I was the best runner out of everyone I knew. I’ve run in these halls before. All I’d need to do is run and find Jack or Zach.

“In here,” Paul spoke as he opened the door for me.

Hesitantly, I stepped inside and checked my surroundings. It was a room I knew too well. It was the room I had shared with Zach many moons ago. This room was made for me back when I was pregnant with Cassie. I took in the blue walls that were all different shades. Seeing the room was like being pulled back to that time when I was terrified and vulnerable. Actually, things were pretty much the same right now. Back then I was slowly becoming comfortable with Zach, to the point that he slept next to me in the bed because I felt bad for him having to sleep on the couch. We became really good friends. And then I began to fall for him. It was all in this room. I’m pretty sure our first kiss happened in here. My face burned at the memory.

“Samantha, please have a seat,” said Destin, who sat on the black leather couch I once used to spend hours on.

Everyone was here. They all managed to squeeze on the couch. I took a seat in a chair that was originally by the table I used to eat every meal at. It’s amazing how much things have changed since I was here last.

“Of course you know why we asked you here,” Destin broke the silence.

I nodded, still unable to find my voice.

“We hope you have thought considerably over this vital decision.”

I cringed. This was it. I glanced over at the door to judge the distance. I could make it in two seconds flat. “I have.”

They all stared at me with this intense look in each on their eyes.

“I’ve decided not to do it.”

I might as well of told them that I was going to kill them. Their eyes melted from a pale green to crimson in a matter of seconds. It was frightening. “May I ask of your reasoning?” wondered Paul.

I cleared my throat and stared at my feet. “I’m happy with my life right now. I don’t want to complicate it more than it already is. I can’t do it to Jack.”