Chapter Six - The Ugly Truth

Chapter Six

                                                                            The Ugly Truth

     I was hot. I was really hot. I could feel sweat on my forehead and my back burning. I opened my eyes, immediately realizing that I wasn’t on the couch anymore. I was lying in bed, my foot propped up against a pillow, yet I somehow managed to lie on my side. I looked like a tangled mess, with my arms and legs going in different directions. I craned my neck around, nearly getting my eye jabbed out by Jack’s nose. He was so smashed up against me that his head was pressed against mine. That’s why I was burning up. How long had he been sleeping on me?

     His arm was loosely around my waist, and his other arm underneath my pillow. I gently pulled his arm off me and threw back the covers. I doubt Jack realizes how much heat he puts off. Some nights it’s wonderful, when it’s all snowing and such. But it was warmer last night. I also doubt that Jack knows how much he crushes me in the night. I must wake up two or three times a night, practically buried beneath his heavy body. He always denies being a snuggly guy. Men, I thought with a roll of my eyes. Just like last time, my mouth was dry. I began to gently scoot myself towards the edge of the bed, causing Jack to roll forward and smack face-first into my shoulder.

     “What the—“ Jack grumbled in confusion.

     “Sorry!” I wormed my way out from under him and placed my good leg onto the ground.

     He pushed himself up, his head hanging just inches from my pillow. “What’re you doing?”

     I stared at his wild hair, resisting a laugh when I saw how it stuck to one side. Something about his eyes when he first wakes up always hypnotized me. Right now they were green, the same color as a Christmas tree, I realized. “I was just getting a drink.”

     Without saying a word, he pushed himself off the bed and went downstairs. I was going to follow, but I knew he was getting me a drink. Just as I thought, he came in with a glass of water, handing it to me as soon as I sat up.

     “Thanks.” I took several sips until the dryness faded away.

     He rolled back into bed and began to shut his eyes.

     I snuggled into his side, smiling in content when he pulled me closer. “You know what we should do?”

     “You’re too injured for that,” he replied without even knowing what I was actually talking about.

     I gave him a light smack on the chest. “Not that.” My face was burning. “I was talking about the connection.”

     “Hmm?” His eyes opened to look down at me.

     “We should do the connection.”

     He was quiet for a several seconds. I was starting to wonder if he had fallen to sleep. “Okay.”

     I sat up to look at him. He didn’t have a teasing expression or anything. He looked serious. “Do you want to do it now or tonight?”

     His eyes roamed over my face as if to search for something. “Now.”

     My heart fluttered with excitement. This was always a thrilling experience. It was so different and incredible. It was like reading a fascinating book that left you wanting more. It wasn’t just about getting to see Jack’s memories, thoughts, and emotions. This was two minds becoming one with just a light touch. Everything was out in the open for us. No secrets. It’s scary, to be honest. It’s worse than being seen naked. But it’s a thrill. I’ve wanted to know what Jack has been thinking about for a long time now. He always tries to hide what he’s feeling by joking and avoiding things. Now he won’t be able to do that. Why would Jack let me in? He’s just as curious.