Chapter Five - Family

Chapter Five

                                                                                    Family

     I don’t know how long I had slept for. It felt like I’ve been sleeping for several weeks. When my eyes slowly began to take in the brightness of my bedroom, my mind was too cloudy to remember where I was. My neck was stiff from being in the same position the entire time I slept, and drool apparently had soaked into my pillow. I bet Jack was just laughing up a storm at that site. I knew my hair was a disaster considering I could see its wildness all around my face. My mouth was incredibly dry, making me parched and sound like a dying frog. The space next to me was bare and unmade. Had Jack gone to work already?

     Desperate for a drink, I pulled myself into a sitting position and then lifted my leg, placing it gently over the bed. It throbbed, telling me that the painkillers had worn off long ago. I hopped onto my good foot towards the door so that my bad leg didn’t have to even touch the floor. It grew from tough to impossible the second I hit the stairs. I could just picture hopping onto the step and slipping, which would break a few bones or possibly kill me instantly. So I limped down the stairs instead, wincing each time my injured leg had to be used. After I managed to get down the steps I began to hop again. It was exhausting to hop all the way from my upstairs bedroom to the downstairs kitchen after spending who knows how many hours sleeping. I pushed open the kitchen door and practically fell in.

     “What are you doing out of bed?” Jack stood by the stove with a horrified expression.

     I balanced myself against the table. “What’re you doing here?” I retorted, my throat so dry that it came out in a choke.

     “I live here.”

     I narrowed my eyes at him. “You know what I mean. You better not have taken off work just because I’m crippled.”

     He pulled a chair out for me and waited until I was sitting with my foot propped before he spoke. “I did take off because my wife isn’t supposed to get out of bed for a week. They understood, though I couldn’t care less what they thought.”    

     “Do you mind getting me a glass of juice?” I croaked.

     He quickly poured me a glass of orange juice, presenting it with a straw. “Joe is going to be by in a few hours to check on you. Your mother will be here soon to help with anything around the house. Zach and Penny brought over a basket of muffins.” He rolled his eyes at the last part. “Oh, and I told Mary that the kids will be staying here for the next several days.”

     My eyes were wide in surprise. “You’ve got everything in order. How responsible.”

     His lips pulled to one side. “I can be responsible from time-to-time.”

     “Well, I’m impressed. The only thing that would make this day perfect is a cup of coffee.”

     “I’ll have to make some. I thought you’d be awake earlier, not past noon.”

     I looked at the window, realizing that the sun was shining directly through it. “How long was I out for?”

     “About sixteen or so hours. I had to hold a mirror under your nose to make sure you were still alive.” He started the coffee pot and pulled up a chair close to mine. “Your dosage will be decreased.”