Step Seventeen: You Go To Her House

Start from the beginning

I was sitting at my lunch table, hanging out with Carl when I decided to swallow my pride. Adri had still not come back to school and I was worried about her. She hadn't replied to my text messages or Facebook messages.

I knew there was one thing to do and I knew she was going to kill me for it. I was going to see Bertha.

I arrived at the office, combing my hair with my fingers. Bertha was staring at her computer, and I could see a game of solitaire reflected in her glasses. I suppressed a smirk and went to stand in front of her.

"Elijah Singer," she beamed.

"Bertha," I said, leaning against the counter.

"How can I help you, young man?" She asked, twirling her greasy hair round her pinkie finger.

"Not that much younger than you, surely," I winked and Bertha let out a surprisingly manly giggle.

"Oh. Stop it, you," she put a hand to her mouth and lightly smacked my bicep with the other one.

Jesus Christ, the things I did for pretty girls. I curled up the corner of my lip and allowed her to continue her manly giggles.

"But Bertha," I breathed, trying to make her name sensual. And it was pretty hard, I mean she was called Bertha, "you need to help me."

Bertha was caught in the blue of my eyes, her orange lipsticked mouth slightly open. Her yellowed teeth grazed her lower lip, getting orange on them. I suppressed a smirk and leaned even further toward her, breathing in through my mouth in an attempt to not smell her dusty smell.

"Anything," Bertha practically cried.

I looked around, thankfully noticing the room was empty. Her cry had been slightly too orgasmic to be appropriate and I couldn't have my plan backfire so soon. Now, how could I phrase my question properly? Bertha hated Adri and she would be damned to help me help her...

The answer came to me suddenly, and I knew Adri would probably slam her fist into my face because of it.

"Well Mr. McCrow wants me to give Adrienne Walker her homework... And I have misplaced the address of her house, so I was wondering if you could give it to me?" I suggested.

The smile dropped from Berthas face. She crossed her arms, her shoulders sagging in disappointment.

"Bertha, can I trust you?" I said, calling her attention back to me.

Berthas beady eyes widened in excitement, grabbing my hands and nodding vehemently. Of course I couldn't, but I knew after this she would be eating out of my hands.

"Well, Adrienne Walker is obviously a troubled girl. I would never be romantically interested in her... But as a good citizen I feel like I ought to stage an intervention," I finished and I saw a massive smile spread onto Bertha's face.

"Like on Dr. Oz?" She demanded, her eyes bright with Joy.

"Exactly like Dr. Oz," I nodded even though I had no idea who he was.

She gave a content little sigh before grabbing a piece of note paper. She scribbled down the address and gave me a small little wink.

"Officially I'm not meant to do this, but for the greater good, huh?" Bertha winked.

I mimed locking my lips and quickly read over the note. To my disgust I saw she had signed it Bertha xoxoxoxo.

****

I drove to her house, my stomach filled with knots and butterflies. What if she slammed the door in my face? What if she didn't? I breathed in and out, calming myself down. I was not a pussy. I would do this like a man. I was sick and tired of being Adri's little buttwipe.

I was taking control, like a man.

I parked in front of her house. It was a big white block with a stone walkway to her front door. The roof was red. It was actually kind of ugly, but I supposed the inhabitants would make up for it. I remembered Adri's mom. She was tall, with long thick curled hair and she always baked Adri and I cookies. I loved her mom, she was always so nice to me. To be honest, thinking back, I could see where Adri got her looks.

I walked to her door and knocked three times. No one answered. Frowning, I knocked again. Finally after the sixth time, the door creaked open.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Adri snarled, making sure she was blocking the doorway.

I tried to look inside, but Adri made a point of blocking the view. Sighing I just wrapped my arms around her, and as if the momentum of the hug would push me forward, I propelled us inside. Adri realized what I had done after the door shut behind me.

"Do you have guest, Adri?"

I turned round and I saw Adri's mom. My stomach lurched and I had to control myself or else I would've gasped in horror. Adri's mom was not the woman who baked us cookies anymore; she was half alive and hooked to an IV.

***

Comment and vote make my day :) xxx