Chapter One - Expect the Unexpected

Tsuna straightened up, dusting his hands on his thighs as he pocketed the piece of chalk he had been holding. He'd finished his summoning circle. Reaching into his pocket again, he pulled out a ceremonial knife, ignoring the snickers and titters of his classmates, jeers that their tutor, an Arcobaleno called Reborn– a high ranking demon under contract with the chairman of the Institute, Timoteo – did nothing to stop.

Managing to ignore the mocking noises, Tsuna dragged the blade against his palm and let his blood dribble around the inside of the circle he had made. Shaking the pain away from his hand, Tsuna closed his eyes and took in a deep breath, starting to murmur the words that would carry to the next plane and prompt a demon to come along and form a contract with him.

He didn't expect much to come through, however. Nothing ever did. As it was, as he let the last few syllables leave his lips, nothing happened and someone jeered at him, causing the rest of the class to call out insults.

Tsuna sighed as he readied himself to step from the circle when there was a sharp crack! sort of noise and a heavy weight immediately dropped on top of him, knocking him over onto his back. As he sat back up, the weight shifted to his lap and he looked down to see a blonde man, half sprawled on the floor, half sprawled on Tsuna's legs.

As Tsuna watched, the stranger, who Tsuna himself had presumably summoned, wrapped his arms around his waist and grinned up at him, bright blue eyes trained on his face. It was at that moment, someone shouted out, "Dame-Tsuna summoned a human! How lame!" and then the class burst into hysterics.

Tsuna couldn't help the blush that crossed his face and the person on his lap grinned wider, before it promptly dropped as Reborn darted across the room, grabbed onto Tsuna's upper arm and yanked him to his feet and away, out of the circle. As the blonde stood and attempted to follow, the protections chalked in around the summoning circle kept him inside.

Crossing his arms, he called out, "Reborn, why have you always got to ruin the fun, kora?"

The class had gone silent as soon as Reborn had moved. The fedora wearing demon was keeping his grip on Tsuna's arm tight, and the pacifier around his neck, almost gaudy and plastic in appearance, was burning bright yellow. It was nothing to be laughed at. The pacifier was what kept Reborn's power and control in check, something to stop the demon that was hiding in the man from getting out.

The fact that Reborn could hold a human shape was terrifying enough. It spoke volumes of his power.

The fact Reborn was wary of this person, and the person knew his name meant that whatever Tsuna had summoned, was scary strong too.

"Why are you here Colonello?" Reborn asked, voice edged with a dark fury, even as he shoved a confused and thoroughly scared Tsuna behind him, hand still firmly braced on Tsuna's arm.

The blonde, now named Colonello, leaned forward, tapping the edge of the invisible barrier that held him in. "I came to answer the summons of my new master of course, kora." He grinned, running his index finger against the barrier.

"He isn't your master, the contract wasn't completed." Reborn narrowed his eyes, making sure to keep his fingers tight around Tsuna's arm. "So why don't you go and leave already?"

"Have you even asked his opinion, kora?"

"This is his first successful summons; he doesn't need someone like you."

Colonello laughed. "If this is his first, then wouldn't I be best instead of some immature, untrained heathen, kora? Or are you just protecting him because you're selfish and want him for yourself when your current contract has ended?"

Reborn bristled, though he loosened his hand when Tsuna whimpered at the bruising grin Reborn had his upper arm in.

"Leave, Colonello," Reborn's voice was cold by this point, biting and harsh. Colonello chuckled again, crouching down and dragging his finger through a drop of blood still drying on the floor. Lifting his hand, he licked it clean, grinning widely at the look on Reborn's face.