Chapter One

A bomb. The person sitting in front of me just dropped a verbal bomb on me. I thought I had more time.

"Wait I have to decide? I can't decide right now!"

"Miss Ashville-Jones, you have to make a choice. Year 12 will not last forever Charlotte." My careers counselor Miss Pat sighs. "Listen, you need to apply for some courses now through VTAC. Pick one course in every field you are interested in but by time exams come around you do need to know what career you want. I'm not going to be here for you when high school ends."

'I wish mum and dad were here.' Staring at the random art work on the wall beside me I feel myself zone out. I wasn't thinking about anything in particular. My mind just wondered.

"Charlotte dear," Miss Pat walks around her desk, snapping me out of my thoughts. "I know that it's hard to choose. But please remember that you have people around you that can help. Myself included until you graduate. My door is always open for you if you need."

Sighing, I nod getting up from my chair and collecting my bag from my feet. Grumbling I leave Miss Pat's office and head to what my friends and I call the 'roundabout' for lunch.

Tugging at my school jumpers sleeves I sit down on the green 360 degree chair, zoned out to the conversation around me.

'I have to choose?! How can I choose between writing, art, and music? Can't there be a course that covers everything?' I silently think to myself.

"Yo Charlie!" I look up and see Carter, one half of the Green twins, smiling down at me. "Dude where did you go. Lunch is almost over."

True to Carter Green form, like always he's bouncing a footy. It's like the ball never leaves his sight. I know he wants to play in the AFL one day but sometimes I think he has an unhealthy obsession with all things footy.

"Oh, um, Miss Pat wanted to see me. Something about making a choice."

"You mean you still haven't made a choice yet babe?" Lucas asks giving me a quick peck on the lips.

Shaking my head I offer him a weak smile. He throws his arm around my shoulders and pulls me close, giving me a squeeze.

"Char, babe, you need to choose. You know I'm here for you and I will support you no matter what." He gives me one of those breath taking smiles I love so much and I sigh, snuggling into his side.

"Luke, it's harder than it seems. I mean what I pick now is what I am potentially going to be doing for the rest of my life! I love doing so many things it's hard to pick just one." I say to him.

He has been my boyfriend for the last year and a half. We had all been friends. Carter, Skylar, Kenzie, Lucas, and I. And in the beginning I was scared that if Luke and I got together that it would ruin our group, but it didn't. If anything it made it better. To be honest I don't know what I would do without Luke.

"You got this babe." Smiling at me, Lucas leans in and kisses my temple. "How about I come over tonight and we can watch any movie you want?"

With my brown eyes shining I look up at him innocently. He should know by now that, with this look, I will make him watch only one movie.

"Beauty and the beast! All three of them?"

"Okay all of them. But on one condition," curious I tilt my head to the side. "We talk out these different choices of yours. We can even get your grandma to help too. Maybe if you make like a pros and cons list and get others who love you, opinions, you will be able to make a decision."