Chapter 9: making deals.

We woke as one, rising from the bed at the first sound of movement upstairs. I opened my dresser, though realized that I had fallen asleep in clothes and didn't need anymore. Mel had already started coffee and Susie Lynn was flipping pancakes. We settled into pseudo routine and breakfast was on the table in minutes with all hands on deck. As soon as everyone sat down with their pancakes, Ralph began.

"Some of you know, we had a visitor last night," he said. "Grant's father found us. There are countless ways that happened, and placing blame does no good now. I told him we'd call when we discussed the matter."

"We have a couple choices," Mel continued. "One, we refuse to give up Grant and send Mr. Danube on his way by whatever means necessary. But if it ends in a bloody mess, I'm sure we all know the difficulty of making that go away. Obviously, we can just hand Grant over, but I'm not inclined to do that either as Grant and Conor are a package deal as of now. Conor is not leaving with that man. We can also discuss options with his father, but I wouldn't know what he could possibly want besides his son."

"How many were with him?" Grant inquired

"Four?" I guessed. "I couldn't tell how many there were in the back of the vehicle. Why?"

"That sounds like recon," he explained. "Which, unfortunately, isn't good. I worry my father wants to make sure I'm dead by any means necessary. But ignoring him isn't a good idea, he'll just be back with more people."

"I know I always say this, but maybe we might consider leaving?" Keith suggested. "Instead of talking this guy down. I mean, we did blow up their facility and I doubt that it was empty."

"There wasn't anyone alive in the facility," Grant answered quietly.

"We're about to hit winter and we'll have enough snow that it'll be effort to get out here," Mel said. "If we can survive this encounter, we'll be able to hold out until spring."

"Not if my father sends a drone," Grant countered.

That was a somber thought. We couldn't outrun a drone.

"Then we have to talk to Mr. Danube," Ralph decided. "Grant, I don't want you talking to him. At least not until we have some assurances he's not going to kill us all. Then the two of you can chat all you want."

Grant nodded. I wished that the idyllic life we had here had lasted longer. I felt as if I had just got back home and now we were already taking about going on the run. Mel pulled out her cellphone and handed it to Grant.

"Dial please."

He did so, handing it back as it began to ring. I helped Katie get the dishes to the sink. Daria and Aidan hurried outside to take care of the chickens, and Keith and Casey checked on the cows in the pasture. Mel spoke briefly on the phone, but then joined us as we prepared our home. It was a frightening prospect, bringing in the man who had taken me from my family. I worried that Ralph would do whatever if took to keep me here, and I knew that the price would be too high.

It was a couple hours before a black SUV pulled up on our gravel driveway. Keith and I waited outside for Mr. Danube to step out of the vehicle and proceed up the sidewalk.

"Conor," he said. "You're looking well. I can see why you'd come back to Montana; the air is bracing here."

I didn't respond and Keith opened the door, allowing Mr. Danube to enter. The hairs stood on my neck; I didn't want him here. Ralph greeted us in the entry hall, taking Mr. Danube's long coat and gesturing for him to sit in the living room. Mel came in with some coffee, seating herself next to Ralph with a frown. Casey was standing casually in the kitchen. Susie Lynn was with Katie in her room. Grant was waiting in my room with Aidan and Brian. We were as prepared as we could be for whatever this man was going to say.

"Mr. Danube," Ralph began.

"Please call me Peter."

"Peter," Ralph amended. "You trespassed on my property. You have held Conor against his will. Why should I listen to anything you have to say?"

"Because Grant is living on borrowed time," Peter Danube replied. "He's not human, not anymore. And there's no telling what he could do to you and yours if he lost sight of that. I know that you think you're protecting him from me, but who's to protect you from him?"

I got the impression that he believed Ralph was human, otherwise he wouldn't be challenging our ability to protect ourselves.

"This doesn't answer our question," Mel cut in. "Peter, you've made a grave mistake in coming here. Conor has filled us in on what happened to Grant, and regardless of your threats we would do everything in our power to keep him from you."

"Wait, you don't have him?" Mr. Danube questioned, sounding confused. "But..."

"Why did you think he was here?" Ralph asked.

"We got a tip that Grant had been seen in Montana," Mr. Danube said softly, leaning back in his chair. "I've been searching for a month."

A chill when down my spine.

"A tip from whom?" I asked.

"Conor," Mel chastised.

"From whom?" I repeated, ignoring her.

"I don't know; it was anonymous," he replied. "What does it matter? It was wrong."

"You've killed us," came a voice from up the stairs. Brian and Aidan tried to hold Grant back from the living room, the plan forgotten. "You damn fool. You've killed us all."

"Grant!"

Mr. Danube leapt up, but Keith stepped forward to place a hand on the older gentleman, keeping him from his son.

"What do you mean killed us?" Ralph asked.

"The only person who knew I was in Montana," I said. I could hear the fear in my own voice. "The only other person who would be looking for me or Grant."

"Stefa," Grant whispered.

___
Stefa indeed. Where do you think she is?