fourteen

some comments won't make sense - mostly changed plot of chapter

Luke's POV

Carl had bound my arms behind me and the continuous lying on them being in this boot caused me a lot of discomfort, it was worse more so that I couldn't use them to grab the boot release cable to either draw attention to anyone driving by that I was in here or use it to get out if we stopped anywhere. I'd only learned about the existence of them from some movie I'd seen whilst Carl wasn't at home, but it felt more frustrating to know about it and not be able to utilise it than if I was ignorant to their existence.

Being bound wasn't a new experience for me, and so I wasn't panicked by being tied up anymore, but it did frustrate me, especially since I couldn't properly breathe through my nose after being punched. All I could do now was hope that we stopped somewhere and I could try and gain someone's attention. Of course, there was a risk that he'd hear what I was doing but I had to at least try, I had to keep trying to get away unless I'd completely run out of options because I couldn't handle living with him anymore.

The longer I was in the boot, the more I felt like I was going to drift off. My head was hurting from the blows and the motion of the car was making me feel drowsy. Logically I guessed it wouldn't be very good for me to go to sleep now, both for health reasons and missing an opportunity to try and attract attention, but I really needed him to pull over soon to avoid either of those things.

Eventually Carl did stop the car, it felt like an eternity to wait but it probably felt much longer than it was due to the pain I was in and my eagerness to get out. My breathing was heavy as the car came to a stop, I tried to control it so that I could listen to any noise that indicated where Carl had gone. The car shook as he got out, I flinched at the sound of the door slamming shut but then I just waited.

Hearing no noise to indicate Carl was near the car and having no idea where he'd actually parked it, I decided to just take the chance and start kicking on the boot as best I could. My shouts were muffled but I had no doubt some noise could be heard on the other side, hopefully gaining someone's attention.

My banging was only halted when the door of the boot was pulled open, letting a flood of light stream in, causing me to squint up at whoever had opened it.

"Baby bun didn't think I was that stupid, did he?" Came Carl's mocking voice, I just let out a groan as I dropped my head backwards, "No one's gonna hear you here, well they certainly won't help you."

That was all Carl said before reaching down and lifting me up and out of the boot, he managed to get me over his shoulder once more and it made it somewhat difficult to see any of my surroundings, but it was obvious we were in a wooded area of some sort and that we were heading into a house.

Once we were inside the house, Carl made a few turns before entering a room and dumping me on a couch. The room was set up like a living room and I assumed this was someone's, if not one of Carl's, home. Carl hadn't exactly told me how many houses he had, I knew he had more than one just in case of an event like this where he'd need to either be on the move or hiding out from the police, but an exact number was never revealed to me. However, the answer to my question seemed to come when I heard another person talking with Carl out in the hallway.

"I really don't think I'm comfortable with you bringing him here." A male spoke, his voice quiet obviously trying to make it so I wouldn't hear what was being said.

"Look, I just need somewhere to hide before moving him to a different house, the police are on high alert around here because they think they're close to finding me, so I just need to hide for a bit to let the alert die down." Carl explained to the stranger, who I heard let out a deep sigh.