Chapter 23: Heartbroken Zoha

Start from the beginning

"I didn't tell her to pick them up. It was her fault." Manal averted her eyes. She wasn't ready to acknowledge no matter what.

"Mummy, why aren't you saying anything to her? Don't you see how rude she has become?" He was tired of seeing his mother quiet when it came upon Manal. She was the root of all the problem. But Saliha was covering her daughter's actions by blaming Shehryaar. "I haven't seen you once that you would tell her, 'Manal don't disrespect your older brother like this. Stay quiet.' Instead you are always favoring her like she is your only child?"

"Shehryaar-" Saliha said.

"Just leave it. I am very disappointed in my own sister." He turned around towards the room door. "Don't think about interfering in my business again. It was enough what you did today."

He left with a mad slam at the door.

********************************

The next evening, Faiza came over to see her beloved Saliha khala and Manal, like it had been months since they last saw each other. She found Saliha working in the kitchen and thought to assist with small things. Manal was excited as usual. She sat on the countertop, overlooking the process.

"Come and try to cut some carrots. Believe me it's so easy," Faiza said, smiling.

Manal clicked her tongue. She was grinding on the small piece of carrot that she took from the fridge. "Nah. I am enjoying looking at you."

"Well cutting vegetables is more enjoyable."

"Hey, when you are done, can we sit in the lawn?" Manal slid off the counter and fixed her small top, that left her tight-clad thighs exposing the shape of her body. Her hair were cut in layers, so she didn't tie them very often.

"Wait for me. This is the last one." Faiza tried to hurry through.

"Okay."

"It's fine, beta," Saliha said, taking the sharp knife from Faiza. "I'll do it. You go. I didn't call you to work here."

"Khala, I would have done it," Faiza insisted. She acted very compliant and good girl to impress Saliha.

"No, beta, I am good. You go."

"Alright." Faiza dropped the knife. "I love you, khala." She beamed with a big-hearted smile.

"I love you too, jaani."

Manal finished the last piece of carrot in her hand and chewed as they went out in the lawn.

"I missed you yesterday," Manal said.

"I thought it wouldn't be nice to bother you after you all came from the airport," Faiza said. "How was it by the way?"

Manal walked, giving extra sway to her hips. "It was good. But I didn't want daddy to go. He came for such short time." She reached for the lawn chair. "I need to tell you something. It wouldn't have been same if I told you on the phone."

"Really? What happened?" Faiza was calm and soothing from the tone of her voice. She thought everything was normal.

They settled in the lawn chairs, across from each other. Faiza's hair were sleek and shining around the frame of her face. She was wearing light eye-makeup and baby-pink lipstick, which made her look pretty.

Manal sat crossed-knee at the edge of the chair, restless. "You know what happened yesterday?"

"What?" Faiza leaned forward.

Manal's eyes were wide with an expression. "I saw Zoha with Shehryaar bhai last night."

"What?" Faiza was taken aback. "Where?"