05 | Reunited and It Feels No Good?

Start from the beginning

Getting closer to the table, I was being stared by dozens of eyes. I politely smiled at them along with Logan.

Logan introduced, "Mother, Father, this is Maisie Lockhart. She's a friend of mine."

Their names were Lucas and Cheryl. They gave me friendly smiles as I greeted them. Next were David's parents, Russell and Tricia, and they responded warmly to my greeting as well. There was another couple sitting to the far right.

The man nodded with a grin, saying his name was Curtis Valentino as I said hello. Unfortunately, his wife wasn't as welcoming. She simply shrugged. Well, that was awkward. I noticed that all the men had the same raven black hair and midnight blue eyes. The Valentino's were a very good-looking family. The ladies all looked like model women.

Taking a seat next to Vanessa, I whispered, "I didn't know you're going to be here."

She slipped in, "I know, me either. Totally last minute."

I couldn't agree more.

Logan's mother had chestnut brown hair that swiftly danced along her shoulders. Cheryl Valentino said as her hazel eyes reached the lady across from her, "Well, looks like we're ready to start. Oh wait, Monica we're missing—"

Monica Valentino was the one who shrugged me off. Her voice was like ice as she flipped her long, straight ebony colored hair aside. "He's always late, but we're in no rush, Cheryl."

David's father tended to lighten the mood up by starting a conversation. It managed to get rid of the awkward atmosphere Monica created. The entire time, Monica was staring at me directly. The way her piercing brown eyes darted made it appear like she recognized me. However, I didn't think that was the case. I have never met nor seen her before.

"Since when did we eat with the workers here?" A soothing male voice broke in.

Everyone's heads turned to find where the source came from. My jaw involuntarily dropped along with my fork once we discovered who that was.

Well shit, it was that delivery boy.

I quickly alerted Vanessa and mouthed out, "That's him!"

She had this confused expression on and grabbed a napkin next to her. "Napkin?"

Bryce's father garnered our attention and said, "Oh, was she the one who needed a job?"

I then heard David instruct, "Bryce, take a seat already."

So, the delivery boy was none other than Bryce Valentino—one of the heirs to Phoenix Empire. He was the son of Curtis and—ice cold—Monica Valentino.

Just my luck.

How could I have not known? I could blame Mason for doing horrible research on the Internet, but it was mostly my fault for not making a connection.

Bryce took a seat across from me, and there was a cunning grin planted across his face. Everything about him bought me back to that day. From his clean-cut textured black hair, to those sky blue eyes, to his masculine facial features.

Bryce's mother took a cold look at him and said, "Where have you been? We've been waiting."

Even though Bryce's father insisted that it was okay and we could finally start dinner, Monica was still not pleased. She abruptly scrunched her nose at me.

Dismissing her husband's words, she added, "Yes, this is something new. We never do these kind of things with workers at this hotel."

David's mother had beautiful wavy, reddish brown hair and a pair of blue-green eyes. She said lightly, "There's nothing wrong with something like that, Monica."