Chapter 13: WITHOUT A WORD

"You know, Emily Dickinson was a very reclusive woman. Some people say she was depressed," Sally mentioned as Alex handed her report back.

Alex smiled politely, glancing down at his watch to check the time. It was 7:03. She was have been running late, but it wasn't really like Norma to be on time for things.

"That doesn't sound familiar?" Sally stated, stuffing her report back into her bag. Alex had almost forgotten she was there. He sort of wished he had.

His gaze lingered near the doorway, glancing every now and then to the darkness of the night sky peeking through the window. "Hmm?" Alex hummed, completely disregarding how rude he must have seemed.

She didn't seem to mind. Or at least she didn't notice. "A depressed recluse?" His eyes met hers, a look of confusion coming across his face. "Alex, I know your mother's death was very difficult but it's been close to four months. You need to start thinking about yourself."

A pained formed in his heart as her words sank in. "What?"

"You've been kind of distant lately. If you're depressed you need to tell someone so they can help you." Sally wasn't a bad person. She only ever thought about other people. But Alex didn't see it that way; his youth blinded him from the truth.

"I'm not depressed. And I'm not lonely. I'm actually waiting for someone. So I think it might be best that you leave." But she didn't move. She stood there staring at him in shock. So he got up and ushered her to the door, peering out into the distance as she made her way down the driveway.

Norma didn't show up that night. It took Alex a few days to realize that she had up and left. But the memory of that night would never leave him. He sat at the kitchen table for an hour, wrestling the little black box between his fingers. The Dean Martin record had begun to skip, and the candlelight began to fade. The darkness started to consume him as he sat waiting for her arrival. But she never came.

He thought maybe her parents had found out about the pregnancy and locked her up somewhere. But the better part of him knew that they didn't care whether she lived or died. Besides they were too drunk to even notice she was gone.

Nobody at school seemed to notice. But the truth became obvious when chatter of a missing John Massett began to surface. The thought that her life was in John's hands crushed Alex. A part of him knew at that moment...it wasn't going to end well. It never would.

They left as soon as Norma reached his house. John's parents didn't seem to notice the noise they made. They were probably asleep. Still a pain formed inside Norma as she watched John write his parents a goodbye letter. It bothered her that she'd never met them. But if she had she probably wouldn't be leaving with their son...she'd feel bad. It was already bad enough that she was trapping John with a child that wasn't his.

They rode in silence for a majority of the drive. There wasn't much to say. They were leaving the only town they had ever known. There was something both exciting and terrifying about the experience. Still Norma had drifted off after about an hour and half on the road. The stress of it all had tuckered her out. But the sudden rustling against the car door woke her. It took her a while to realize that they were on an abandoned dirt road, the only light shining half a mile in the distance.

"Look's like there's a motel down there," John told her as if she couldn't see it for herself. He pulled into the parking lot of the seemingly abandoned motel, killing the engine, and climbing out. He didn't bother to wait for her or even get her door for the matter. He went inside the motel office without her, leaving her to trail helplessly behind him.

It appeared to be a family-run business. At least that's what Norma assumed from the look of it. She grimaced as she stepped inside the office, immediately making eye contact with a stuffed owl. "This place is kind of creepy," she whispered, glancing about the room for the motel owner.

John ignored her apprehensions, leaning forward on the front desk to glance in the back room. "Well it's the only stop for the next ten miles. It's gonna have to do."

Norma rolled her eyes at him, folding her arms across her chest in defeat. The young couple jumped as a man appeared from the back room. "Sorry I was just finishing a book. We usually don't get visitors this late at night," the man stated, a welcoming smile following suit. "What can I do for you two tonight?"

"We just need a room for the night," John muttered.

The man's eyes flickered between the couple. "One room?"

An eerie feeling washed over Norma as she watched the man speak with John. But John didn't seem to notice as usual. "Yes."

"Two beds?" the man questioned, a slight annoyance appearing in his voice.

"A double bed is fine," John replied, filtering through his wallet for some cash.

"Do you have a phone I can use?" Norma piped up from behind her boyfriend.

The man smiled at her, pointing to the room behind him. "There's one in the back room that you can use."

Norma smiled back at him, shooting a glance to John before she left his side. "Thank you."

The phone was cold as she held it to her ear, dialing the numbers with her dominant hand. Her heart pounded as the phone rang. She felt bad leaving without a word. She needed to explain herself to Alex. Or at least hear his voice. He always knew how to make her feel calm. And calm was something she longed for deeply. But he didn't pick up. She couldn't blame him. It was close to midnight. Her heart sank as she thought of him sitting all alone waiting for her. She shook her head at herself, walking back out into the motel office. Alex had that other girl—he didn't need her.