Chapter 9: KEEPS ME WARM

Norma was slightly surprised to find herself smiling as John pulled up to take her to school. His car was a lot nicer than Alex's, though Alex was a better driver. Norma closed her eyes, breathing deeply. She had to stop comparing John to Alex.

"You look pale," he muttered once she was inside the car.

"I'm not feeling very well," she explained, settling into her seat. She hadn't slept at all last night. She stopped crying around three in the morning and spent the rest of the time waiting to throw up. She hadn't yet. She thought about telling him her news, but decided against it. Now wasn't the best time. "Thanks for driving me. I really appreciate it."

John smiled, keeping his eyes on the road ahead. "It's no problem. I didn't really like that kid driving you anyway."

Norma furrowed her brow, glancing over at him. "Alex?"

"Yeah. I'm glad you stopped hanging around him." She hadn't stopped being friends with him. At least she thought they were still friends. "I'm pretty sure he has a crush on you. Always following you around like a lost puppy. It's pathetic really."

A pained formed in her heart. "His mom just died."

John scoffed, rolling his eyes. "What does that have to do with anything? Doesn't make him any less of a loser. Maybe now that she's dead he'll stop being a mama's boy and grow a pair." She could have slapped him just for that. Her anger and breakfast were rising within her. She wasn't sure if she was going to cry or throw up. John glanced at her briefly. "What? You don't care for him, do you?"

She tried to breathe normally, stumbling over her words. "I...I don't like him like that."

John nodded, turning back to the road. "Good."

Norma had been fine. The nauseas feeling had finally disappeared after her second class. She got her books from her locker and turned to go to her next class. Her heart dropped as she spotted Alex, his arm wrapped around some brunette. She grimaced at the sight, stopping dead. Part of her was offended he'd replaced her so fast. Though this relationship seemed to be one of a more intimate nature. She wasn't sure but she certainly wasn't going to ask. He seemed happy. The thought of someone else causing his happiness drove her a little mad. She panicked when Alex spotted her watching them. The nauseas feeling had returned this time worse than before, sending her running down the hall to the girl's bathroom.

She tried to ignore the other girls' whispers as she left the bathroom stall, but she didn't have the strength to snap something back at them. She couldn't stop the tears from seeping out. They blinded her temporarily, causing her to bump into a firm body.

"Hey, are you all right?" Alex asked, gripping her shoulders in an attempt to balance her.

Her breathing became erratic as the tears continued to flow. "I'm fine," she lied, pushing past him and rushing off to her class. She hadn't noticed that the brunette had disappeared from his side. She hadn't even noticed the concern laced in his voice. Her goal was survival...and she was failing.

"You know prom's in a few months." Norma barely heard John's voice over the bustle of the cafeteria. He seemed to blend in with everyone else. He was just a means to an end. Not really important, yet important enough to keep her interested. "Norma?"

She had zoned out the second she sat down. She liked John, but she wasn't sure she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. What choice did she have? She couldn't stay in White Pine Bay. The town was already gossipy enough without a pregnant teenager. And who knew how her parents would react to the news...if they'd react at all. She could feel his gaze lingering on the side of her face, suffocating her. "Hmm?"