Chapter 2: Have We Met Before?

Your alarm clock blares painfully in your ears. With a groan of annoyance, you stand and quickly turn it off. You go through your routine, making sure to throw on your favorite anime sweatshirt before heading to the bus stop. Briefly, a needle-like pain jolts through your head as a bright red car passes, but you brush it off. School goes on as usual, until seventh period...

          "Okay, class! We have two new students joining us today. I hope you treat them with respect." Mrs. Ares cheerfully says. You look at them, recognition filling your being as you look at the pair standing before you. 'What the hell...? I've never met them before, have I...?' You ask as a small but sharp pain starts in your head. "Mind introducing yourselves?" Mrs. Ares cheerfully asks. They look identical: jaw length brown hair, and they're almost the same height. One is wearing a green sweater with a yellow stripe and has red eyes, but the other has a purple sweater with pinkish-purple stripes and brown eyes. The red eyed one of the pair steps forward. "Greetings. I am Chara. This is Frisk." He introduces himself and his companion, icily gazing over the class with an uncomfortable smile. People whisper and glance between Chara and Frisk. Frisk shyly waves, seemingly wanting to say something. Quickly, you shake your head to try to rid yourself of the sharp pain filling your skull. "U-um, Frisk, Chara, tell us something about yourselves." Mrs. Ares nervously says as Chara looks her dead in the eyes.

          "One thing about me is that I don't want to tell you anything more." Chara coldly says. Mrs. Ares shivers, moving closer to the phone. "F-Frisk, wh-what about you?" She asks. Frisk makes their way over to Mrs. Ares, quickly typing something into their phone before showing it to her. "O-oh, sorry. I d-didn't know." She says. "So, Teach, where are we sitting?" Chara asks, emphasizing the nickname 'Teach'. Curiosity fills you. It's only been a few minutes, but Chara, rather than Mrs. Ares, seems to be in control. "R-right by the window. Y-you two can work out which seat goes to who." She says, eyes begging for Chara to move away from her. "As you wish." Chara sighs, following Frisk as they move to the seat closest to the window. Chara sits next to them.

          "Alright, class. We're going to start a project on Chaos Theory and I want each of you to give an example and make a poster about it," Mrs. Ares announces. You smirk, pleased with this. It's a theory you've been fascinated with for a while now. "But I thought I'd spice things up a bit this time. I've assigned you all groups to try to integrate our new classmates!" She says, her cheerfulness sounding forced. Chara seems to glare at her immediately, but there's a hint of curiosity behind it that you're quick to notice. Frisk, on the other hand, looks like all he wants to do is hide somewhere, preferably a deep black pit, until this class is over at the mention of having to partner up. Panic swirls in your stomach, and it becomes harder to breathe. You fight down your emotions as you bring your gaze to the teacher. "Julia and July will be partners, Kyle and Damien will be partners, Jasper and December will be partners..." You tune her out, listening closely for your name.

          "... And lastly, (Y/n), Frisk, and Chara. Alright. Now that that's over with, move into your groups." Mrs. Ares says, glancing apologetically at you. The pair walks up to you, and the sharp pain in your head grows with each step they take. "(Y/n)?" Chara asks. You hear your name echo several times, and try to lean back as your vision darkens and spins. Quickly, you find that you can't speak. Before you know it, black completely floods your field of vision and the sounds of the people and machinery surrounding you disappears from your ears.