twenty seven ⁂ traveling

June 7, 2022

It was the first day of O.W.L.s, and the whole of the fifth year was panicked. The libraries were crowded and busy, while the courtyard and common rooms were littered with older students studying.

Scarlett was confident that she was ready. She had studied her ass off, and she knew the after school studying with Professor Killian really helped. Her roommates were too stressed to mess with her and quidditch was over. Gus was too infatuated with the girl he went to the winter ball with to talk to her, which made Scarlett a little depressed. On the bright side, her and Lily agreed to write to each other over the summer and it seemed James and her had bonded more than Scarlett would've expected at the beginning of the school year. They studied together and sometimes she would leave Scorpius at prefect duties and help James with his.

The first day of testing was a breeze and Scarlett walked to prefect duties tired but relieved nonetheless.

"Are you here to just leave me for James again?" Scorpius said as Scarlett met him in the corridor.

"Why, are you jealous?" She smirked as he turned away. "No, I'm not."

Before Scorpius could respond— and as if on cue — James strolled in. Scorpius scoffed while Scarlett smiled. James nodded to Scorpius as he brushed by him right to Scarlett.

"Hey." He smiled. "I—"

Scarlett cut him off; her voice low into almost a whisper. "Hey, I can't come to your prefect duties, I already told Scorpius I'd be staying."

"Sounds jealous." James chuckled. "This corridor doesn't get that busy after hours."

"That's what I said," Scarlett grinned. She knew she had been harmlessly flirting with James. She was just filling the void Scorpius had left. Not that James was a rebound, Scorpius and her weren't really anything in the first place, right?

"So anyway, I wasn't going to ask if you wanted to join me in my duties but something else." Scarlett raised an eyebrow playfully. "My family just got this cabin on a lake to stay during the summer and all of my siblings get to invite someone, so I was wondering—"

"Oh my god, yes!" Scarlett smiled, wrapping James into a hug.

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

June 10, 2022 - summer!

scarlett,
hey! how's life? we need to hang out this summer... i almost forgot omg!! i never got to tell you about it! my mom and i are going to america for the summer!! i think america is one of my favorite countries already and i haven't even been there yet. i love traveling, and my mom is even letting voltaire come! tell me what you're up to this summer!! see you in august!!
from lily

lily!!!
i hope you like america! i actually am traveling too this summer. i didn't get to tell you at the end of school but james invited me to his lake house at the end of summer! im really excited and really glad to be traveling somewhere other than hogwarts lmao. maybe we can meet up. please write soon!
scar:)

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

August 3, 2022

Scarlett loved her parents, but even when she had been at home for just a week, they were already starting to drive her crazy. Ever since she asked if she could go to James's lake house, they had been drilling her with questions about James, his family, and where they were going.

"We don't know his parents! You are staying there for two weeks and we are concerned about your safety, Scarlett."

Scarlett sighed. "For the last time, James's dad literally saved the world. I think I'll be fine!"

"But how are you supposed to get to the Miller's? Will you write or text us?"

"Yes, I can text you. I guess James will take me to the Miller's." Scarlett was not eager for that moment to arrive for obvious reasons.

"How many people will be there?"

"From James's letters, just his family and cousins and their friends. That's only like fourteen people."

And the questions never stopped, not even until Scarlett stepped into her fireplace, backpack, and suitcase in hand. Last summer, she enchanted it so her family could save on their airline bills.

"We love you, Scarlett." Her parents smiled.

"I love you guys." Scarlett smiled before she threw down the green powder, said her location, and erupted in green flames.

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

August 3, 2022 - a few seconds later

Scarlett emerged in a large but cozy living room. She stepped out into the large room. The ceiling was tall and the walls were covered in stretched windows overlooking a never-ending lake with a small beach fashioned with a pier. It was night time and she was immediately cold. Scarlett had worn only a shirt and shorts, not at all prepared for the coolness of northern Europe.

"Hello?" Scarlett said into the seemingly empty house. A sudden shock of panic rushed through her. Am I at the wrong house? Scarlett questioned. Am I too early?

She stepped out into the living room and looked around. The cabin was ginormous. She looked up the winding staircase to the balcony of the second floor that overlooked the living room when a door opened.

A boy with messy white blonde hair walked out, dressed in a white shirt and sweatpants rolled on his ankles.

"Um, excuse me?" Scarlett asked politely. He turned his head at the voice, stopping immediately when he saw her. His green ring sparkled as his eyes stared at her in a speechless gaze. "Wait, Scorpius?!"

Meg was here :)) #skrt