27 - failed

27 - failed

"It is okay to fail once in awhile, you know," Kageyama whispers, all the while rubbing reassuring circles on Oikawa's back. Although Kageyama is using way too much pressure, Oikawa appreciates the gesture. Kageyama is really trying to help him... Really trying to comfort him.

Oikawa keeps his gaze focused on THE letter... THE letter from THE University that he had dreamed of going to. THE university that he studied tirelessly for, in the most literal sense possible. Between the entrance exam and volleyball, Oikawa he had little time to do much of anything, whether it be eat or sleep. Not that he would have had done either. Until he got THE letter he was too nervous.

Now all he wants to do is sleep so he can pretend that he didn't fail. So he could pretend that he didn't fail his team, his friends, his parents, or his boyfriend.

"I know," he responds. His words come out in a shaky whisper. "But this was the year I couldn't afford to fail, Tobio."

Unsure of what to say, Kageyama continues to rub circles on Oikawa's back. After ten minutes, when his hand grows tired, he gives Oikawa a quick kiss on the forehead.

Even though his mind, heart and eyes ache, the kiss makes Oikawa feel better.

Ever so slightly better.