22 - different

22 - different

/I just realized the last prompt was supposed to be "silent" not silence. WHOOPS/

"You're different," Kageyama says, all the while staring at his coffee. Normally the warm brown color would calm him.... But, right now, the color is reminding him of the color of Oikawa's hair... Reminding him of who he is speaking to. He never thought he would show weakness in front of his former rival... In front of a man who use to hate him with a burning passion.

Before he can say more, Oikawa laughs, "You're different too. You're not as irritable as you were. I suppose we have Shrimpy to thank for that. How is he doing?" To Oikawa's surprise, Kageyama grows tense when he mentions Hinata.

"He's happy..." Kageyama whispers, his eyes never leaving his coffee, "He's married to a preschool teacher." He's married to someone who is doing a job I could never do... He's married to someone who is much more cheerful and outgoing than me.

"Tobio," Oikawa's voice is soft. The Oikawa he knew would never talk this way... Would never try to comfort him. The Oikawa Kageyama knew hated him. As Oikawa speaks, he places his hands over Kageyama's, which are firmly holding the coffee cup. "You know you're a great person, right? Each of us are great people in different ways. Don't compare yourself to anyone. It'll eat you alive." I know from experience.

Even though Kageyama already knows the answer, he asks anyway, "Is that what you did? Did you compare yourself to me?"

Oikawa's response is quick. "I did and I hated myself. Over time I learned to love myself. You should love yourself too. After all, there is only one Kageyama Tobio in this world."

With a sniffle, Kageyama finally raises his gaze. "Thank you, Tooru."

"You're welcome, Tobio."