Chapter 5

That night we say our last goodbyes to Splashmoon and bury her deep within the cave's walls.

With one last look at the night sky, I whisper, "She'll be up there tonight."

~~~~~~~

The next day we keep moving. With the foothills in our sights, we become more hopeful for the future. Once we are completely enveloped in the woods, we stop to take a break.

"Once we're through this forested area, there will be plains and hills, but not as big as the mountains. That's WindClan territory, which I suggest we fly over so we don't disturb anyone. After that, there will be another forest which is ThunderClan territory. We should stop there before we continue up into where Smokey lives. They will be friendly and help us on our way," I inform everyone.

My clanmates nod and we hurry on.

~~~~~

We stop again in the secluded forest just outside of WindClan territory. Having covered a lot of ground that day, we deserve the break.

Difficulty arises when we try to catch prey. My clanmates only know how to hunt in the mountains, so I have to show them what little knowledge of hunting in the forest I have.

Once we've caught enough prey, everyone settles down to eat. I walk a little way off to sit alone, but Tempestclaw follows me.

"Hey," he meows. "Need company?"

"Sure," I reply.

Awkward silence follows my remark as I gulp down my dinner. Looking slightly worried, he sits close to me and taps my back with his tail.

"Are you alright? You look like something's bothering you."

I shrug. "Just wondering how Nightshade came back and why she hates me so much. Kind of the usual stuff you know..."

Tempestclaw twitches his ears. "It's probably some freak copy-cat. Maybe a major follower of hers, who needs attention. She doesn't look right to be Nightshade, and it's impossible anyway."

"Not completely impossible."

He looks at me with surprise. Before he says anything I whisper, "I don't know much, but when I first joined ThunderClan, the 4 clans had just ended a war of some sorts. There was something about dead people coming back, but I didn't understand it and it was one of those things that they just didn't talk about because it was so horrid. I don't want to scare everyone else though and give Firelight false hope of Splashmoon coming back. I want to stop in ThunderClan to see everyone, but also to get more information. Battles like this don't make sense and I need to ask."

Tempestclaw looks at me like I'm crazy. "Uhh, Silverstar, are you feeling alright?"

I fluff up my fur in anger. "What do you think? Why would I ever lie to you? It's not like regular cats thought it could be possible for us to have wings!"

After assessing his face, I apologize. "I'm sorry. I'm just feeling a lot of pressure on me about doing the right thing and stuff, but right now, I'm lost. I need StarClan more than ever, but it feels like everything that is happening is going down hill. I thought I knew what my life was meant to be; I thought I was doing the right thing, but now I'm not sure."

He lays his tail on mine and whispers, "It's ok. I will always stand by your side, and don't forget that. I know it seems tough, but in the end it has to work out right. StarClan won't let you fall."

"I know. I just need to feel like I don't have to constantly worry about our clan's safety," I lower my head, almost talking to the ground.

~~~~~~

When the bright morning light shines through the trees, we start on our final day of our trek. After a couple delays, we are almost there. I start to feel more confident when the grassy hills of WindClan pass underneath my paws. Casting shadows on the land, we surf through the air. A few confused cats give us looks from below, but undaunted, we continue on our quest.

I signal to land when forested area arrives. Our paws landing softly, we touch down on the plush grass. After a heartbeat of walking, the thunder of paws resounds in my ears. One moment later I see familiar green eyes poke out of the undergrowth. A couple cats surround the orange she-cat that I know with unknowing looks of who I am, but the she-cat instantly remembers me.

Seeing our battle wounds and scars, Squirrelflight inquires, "Silverstar?!"