Chapter 1 - Hired!

Start from the beginning

Odin spoke up in a firm, soft tone. "Jake, if you were to receive five percent, you would earn 75,000 cred-units per year. Minimum. Assuming no crashes in the mineral markets, of course."

Jake needed a few seconds to comprehend the figure. "Seventy ...five... thousand...?" he stammered. "What do you people mine, diamonds?"

"Gold, actually."

"Antioch Two has the second largest gold veins in human space," Odin supplied calmly, "along with the fourth largest silver deposits, third richest copper deposits, and so on. Antioch Two appears to be an untapped source of vast wealth in precious minerals."

It took a moment, but Jake snapped out of his shock. When he did he he realized that the couple had been surprised that he knew what they were going to ask before they asked it. If they didn't know, he reasoned, they probably don't know how to go about waging a revolution. It will mean lots of work, but their offer will more than compensate for that.

I'll be set for life, and I won't have to take boring jobs like this one anymore.

Pressing his shirt with his hands, Jake sat up straight. "Well, then, I suppose we should... no, we must strive to ensure that colonists on independent worlds are not denied their basic rights. I would be happy to do my part."

"We're glad you feel that way, Mr. Bonner," Clarissa said, seemingly oblivious to Jake's mood change. "We're prepared to advance you fifteen hundred creds."

"Fifteen-hundred? That won't get me to Antioch Two anytime soon. Can't you up that a little?"

"We can barely afford that, Mr. Bonner."

Jake grimaced. His opportunity for the easy life, his chance to stop wandering, his hopes for attracting a young and beautiful love slave, all threatened to sprout jump drives and zip away. He gritted his teeth. "I hate to say this, but..."

"I have uncovered a possible source of immediate income," Odin announced. "You may accept this assignment, if you wish."

"Thank you. I accept. Log your advance, and the other offer, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Skuld, out."

Jake let out a maniacal laugh. "I'm gonna be rich! Filthy rich! Odin, if you were a woman, I would marry you."

"I am pleased you have such a deep respect for my ability and talents."

"Oh, don't be so stuffy. Admit it, Odin. You wouldn't have guided me to this offer if you didn't like the idea of me becoming wealthy."

"Well, I admit that a more reliable source of income would allow for certain advances to my software and hardware."

"That's the spirit! Now, what's this other source of income?"

"The individual is on his way. One moment. The gentleman, Sidney Kraft, is in the airlock, and requests permission to board the ship."

"Let him in."

The man entered the bridge through the entranceway opposite the control area. Sidney Kraft might have been in his late thirties, but it was more likely that he was faking it. His hair was too neatly in place, his skin too tanned and smooth, and his shape too sculpted. His clothes reminded Jake of a pink Christmas tree.

"You Jake Bunter?" Sid asked. His voice was way too smooth.

"Bonner. Jake Bonner."

Oh, yeah, Bonner." Sid approached, took Jake's hand and shook it vigorously. "I'm Sid Kraft, of Kraft, Kropf, Kretz, and Bartholomew."

"What do you do? Why are you hiring?"

Kraft appeared mildly surprised. "I'm an agent, Mr. Burner."