•{Prologue}•

"They're beautiful." Whispered a voice through the darkness, and Duskdawn screamed. Who was whispering to her through the pitch black of the night?

Into the nursery rushed Rustclaw, the younger of DayClan's two deputies. The hot-headed ginger tabby yelled, "WHO SCREAMED?!" at the top of his voice upon entry.
"Shut it, fool!" Another queen snapped. "You'll wake the kits."
"BUT SOME CAT SCREAMED." He yelled back.
"Sorry, that was me." Duskdawn apologised. "Some cat was whispering through the darkness to me."
"WHAT CAT?" Rustclaw shouted. "I WILL RIP HIS FACE OFF AND SHOVE IT-"
"It was just me, sorry!" Duskdawn's mate, Leafpelt, slid out from the darkness. Rustclaw's eyes bulged.
"OH OKAY." He declared, and zoomed out of the nursery again.

Leafpelt turned to his mate, purring.
"They're beautiful." He started again, leaning over her flank to look at the three brown kits sleeping. Duskdawn purred back, pleased. Neither of them noticed or cared about the glowing green eyes of Thirdpaw above their heads.
"What will we name our daughters?" Duskdawn asked softly. Leafpelt swept his tail over the first kit.
"Ryekit." He mewed, lightly touching the brown tabby's head.
"Sparrowkit for this one." Duskdawn continued, touching the mottled brown shecat.
"And Mousekit for this beautiful, dappled shecat." Leafpelt concluded.
"Mousekit?" Duskdawn rolled her eyes. "Why not, I dunno, Dapplekit or something nice?"
"What, Mousekit isn't nice?"
"It's... ordinary."
"MOUSEKIT IS A BEAUTIFUL NAME." Rustclaw shoved his head into the nursery.
"How are you the deputy? You were made a warrior like yesterday." Leafpelt questioned. Rustclaw's eyes bulged again.
"PEASANT SCUM." He roared. "NAME YOUR CHILD MOUSEKIT OR SO HELP ME I WILL-" He fell backwards and never finished the sentence.

"Er... Mousekit it is!"