Chapter 34: Hospital

Börja om från början

                “No,” I said pointedly, willing her to drop the subject. It wasn’t even her business. I took a bite out of the sandwich Mum had made me.

                Ali played around with her salad, a frown forming on her lips. We were sitting in the school’s field, because it was a lovely sunny day. The day mirrored my mood perfectly. I had the best boyfriend in the world. Jonny was amazing. He was handsome—with his gorgeous gray eyes, ruffled blonde hair, and perfect body. Plus, he was probably the most popular boy in school. What else could a girl possibly want?

                “I don’t like him,” she finally said.

                I made a face. “Just because you don’t have a boyfriend, you feel the need to insult mine?”

                She stuck out her chin stubbornly. “It’s not that,” she argued. “You know I don’t even want a boyfriend.”

                I snorted, shaking my head in disbelief. “That’s only because no one will have you.”

                Ali pursed her lips and I knew I’d hit a nerve. “No,” she said, her voice wobbly, “it’s just... he always goes out with girls and it never lasts very long. I’m just worried he’ll hurt you.”

                I clenched my fists and gave her my fiercest glare. How dare she speak about Jonny like that? I was different to all the other girls. He’d already told me that. I knew he loved me, from the way he looked at me and the way he kissed me.

                “He’ll never do that to me,” I responded firmly.

                “How do you know that?” she asked, fiddling with a loose strand of her dark brown hair. “You’re no different to them.”

                I started collecting my lunch.

                “What are you doing?”

                “I am leaving,” I told her shortly, standing up. “You can eat lunch on your own today.”

                Ali didn’t have many friends, so I was kind enough to sit with her every day so she wouldn’t become lonely. But not anymore. If she was going to act like this, then I decided I’ll just eat with Jonny and his friends instead.

                “No, please don’t,” she begged, “I’m sorry.”

                “Too late,” I snapped. I sauntered away, leaving her crying. Honestly, why was she such a baby all the time? Couldn’t she make some friends of her own, instead of following me like a shadow every single day?