Part 14

The man started laughing hysterically and the naked woman grabbed her hand and pulled her in for a hug that left Alice breathless. She could feel the disgusting smell of the naked woman's body and her sticky, sweaty skin.

"You will! You will!", the man was screaming and jumping around as if he were an infant happy with the toy he got.

When the woman pushed her away, Alice fell to the ground and hit her nose. It started bleeding and when her hand flew up to stop the blood,  she could make out something that looked much like a picture under the table and she quickly memorized it.

"I must get it later", she thought to herself. The kids on it looked oddly familiar.

"This is GREAT! Now, I want you to go and get some rest up there in the attic and not get out of there until I call you. Are we clear? We're starting tomorrow night as soon as the sun goes down".

"Fine", Alice quickly grabbed the picture and hid it in her shorts. Luckily, she went unnoticed.

"What are you waiting for? GO!", Alice jumped a bit when he screamed at her, but was soon enough on her way to the attic.

When she climbed up the ladder that was now somehow already in the house, she ran up to the corner where a bit of moonlight was shining. When she looked at it under the light, she could see that she didn't actually see children. It was just one girl.

 It was just one girl

Alice closed her eyes in disgust and cringed. She then turned the picture around and there was something written at the back.

"This is what my father did to my younger sister. I miss her so much. If found, must be returned to my diary". It was signed with her mother's name and Alice's eyes widened. She read the sentence again. So the naked woman was her mother's sister? And this crazy man was her mother's father?

"Oh mommy". She noticed a big box in the other corner of the attic and ran up to it. When she opened it, a big cloud of dust puffed up in the air and Alice silently coughed.

Under a heap of paper and all sorts of dolls and toys and a big, bloody rope stood a notebook that had her mother's name written on it and underneath it read: "My journal. Not to be read".

Alice quickly opened it, went back to the moonlight and started reading the first part.

"I had no idea daddy was such a crazy man. He made Emily crazy, he killed her, cut her head off with a chainsaw and then connected it to her body with a thread and a needle. Now Emily is some kind of a demon. Mommy is scared. I am too.

But we can't run away. We just can't.

At least I found Billy, on mommy's advice. Billy is a dead man, actually. He is still in his grave, but there is a passage towards it and the only way is through the shack at the back of the house. There I crawl down some kind of passageway and soon enough I can see Billy lying down in his open coffin in a big room.

He told me he could save me. But the price is so high...  I need to give him my body so he can stop my dad.

I asked him what was going to happen to me, and he said I had to continue my life in another's body. Pick one on the graveyard and just take it.

So I asked him how am I supposed to give him my body and he told me all the secret techniques to astral projection. I'm doing it tonight. It's the only way to save myself and mommy. It's too late for Emily".

Alice's eyes widened when she read the last sentence. She realized that all along her mother wasn't in her own body. It was just her soul that was really hers. And that was supposed to happen to her, too.

Is Billy still down there? Will he be able to help her and her parents without her having to kill anyone?

There was only one way to find out. Alice opened the window, took the bloody, dirty rope she found it the box and tied it to a hook near the window.

"I think it's enough to hold me", she thought to herself as she slowly started to climb down the attic window, her legs pushing against the wall of the house. The night breeze was caressing her. Her final goal was, of course, the shack.