Chapter 4~Training and New Allies...?

“Megan, wake up!” I hear someone shout. I open my eyes sleepily to see Aaron there. 

“What?” I moan.

“We’re about to eat breakfast and talk about our strategy for Training.” Aaron says. 

“Let me change and I’ll be there in ten minutes.” I answer and Aaron goes to eat. 

I change into the outfit left out for me; a black jumpsuit with red and gray lines on the side. The number ‘10’ is on my shoulders, and I slide on the black running shoes. 

After I put my hair in a fishtail braid and brush my teeth, I decide to eat. 

“Finally.” Jackson says once I come to the dining table. I sit down silently and take pancakes with bacon and a cheese bun. I drizzle pink sauce on the pancakes as Dakota talks.

“So what we want you to do for the three days is to meet some tributes, maybe make an alliance, try weapons that could be good for you to use, and don’t ignore the survival skills.” Dakota says.

“Since Megan is good with a knife, don’t use any.” Jackson says. “Same thing goes with Aaron. Don’t pick up a spear.” 

“Got it.” Aaron and I say, and we finish our food in silence. 

At 9:55 AM, Sybille says, “Let’s go.” 

“They can go by themselves. They don’t need to be babied like last year.” Jackson says. Right. Last year, District 10 picked a 12-year-old girl and a 13-year-old boy. They were both killed in Bloodbath. 

“Fine.” Sybille says, and gets Aaron and I in the elevator, fretting over our hair and presses the button marked ‘B’, for ‘Basement’, I assume. 

“Nervous?” Aaron asks.

“Absolutely.” I say. 

“Stick with me and you’ll be fine.” Aaron says, putting his arm over my shoulders and pulling me to his side.

“I’ll stick with you if you promise never to do that again.” I say. 

“Promise.” Aaron says. We get in our positions marked on the floor and wait for Atala to talk. I don’t pay attention, again. 

I’m standing between the boy from 5 and the girl from 12. Aaron is on the other side of Atala, so I can’t do anything. 

Soon Atala dismisses us, and Aaron and I group together. “Where do you want to go?” I ask.

“I want to learn about the edible plants.” Aaron says. We walk over to the edible plants station and learn for an hour about how you can tell if a plant is edible or not. 

Caitlyn comes over to us once we get to the archery and we shoot the targets, but I’m not that good with an arrow. But she claims she is really good with a slingshot. But what is a slingshot going to do to all six Careers if they all attack her at once? 

“I’m going to go and throw knives with Wayne.” Aaron says after Caitlyn leaves.

“Wayne?” I ask.

“The male from 11.” Aaron says. 

“Okay. I’ll try and make fires.” I say. “Wish me luck.” 

“I can’t use a knife for my life!” Aaron retorts and we walk away. I sit down at the fire station. 

“Try making a fire with flint.” The trainer says, handing me flint. I try to copy what the girl from 4 does, but she leaves. 

Fortunately, I get the fire starting twenty minutes later. “Now use what I told you to make a fire out of wire.” The trainer says. 

Grr…flint was easier than wire. I’ve must’ve been messing with the wire, but to no avail.