Hannah's New Gig

I was sitting in study hall class when a there was a knock at the classroom door. The school secretary entered the room and gave the teacher a note. "Hannah?" The teacher said. "Yes." I said. "You are needed in the office". I thought I was in trouble, as any kid would. As I gathered my things and left the room I thought about what I could have possibly done. I was only a junior in high school, I had decent grades. I couldn't figure it out.

As I entered the office the secretary who had brought the note was sitting at her desk. "Ahh, Hannah, if you could just go to conference room 3, that would be great". The office had about 5 different conference rooms. I never had a reason to go into those rooms. I entered the room and saw the cheer coach and the head cheerleader, Lexi. She was so preppy, so popular, I hated her. There was also a very large zippered duffle bag. "Hi Hannah," the cheer coach said excited. "How are you today?" To be honest, I was confused. I didn't want to be in trouble, but I also didn't understand what the cheer coach, and Lexi had to do with me.

"I'm good, what do you need me for?" I asked. Lexi chimed in right away. "Hannah, last summer the cheer team raised enough money to buy a new tiger mascot costume"

" What does that have to do with me?" I asked. "I'm not on the cheer team".

The cheer coach looked down at the duffle bag then looked back at me. "Hannah, Lexi and I have been talking, and we think that you would be the perfect person to wear the new tiger costume"

I was shocked to hear this. "Are you sure, because I don't even go to sport stuff or anything"

" You have a passion for our school, and you are very energetic with your friends. We think that you'd be awesome at entertaining everyone and getting reactions out of people" Lexi explained.

For some reason I never thought of Lexi as a nice person. Maybe is was because she was a cheerleader. But when she said she thought I'd be a good mascot, I actually started to consider doing it.

"Hannah..." Lexi continued, "We've never had a mascot before and we need someone reliable and energetic. You don't have to do it but we really don't think anyone else would be as good as you".

I thought about what she said but my attention shifted to the duffle bag on the floor. "Before I make a decision, what's in the bag?"

Lexi grabbed the bag and placed it at her feet. She slowly unzipped the bag and all I could saw was a sea of orange and black. Lexi paused "Hannah, why don't I show you, I'll be right back.

She left the room and took the bag with her. I kinda figured out what was in the bag and my suspicions were confirmed when she came back in.

The door opened and in walked Lexi, dressed head to toe in the tiger mascot costume. Her voice was muffled as she talked. "Hannah, this is Toby the Tiger".

I was very stunned that this was how they would show me the costume but it was fun to see Lexi, who was normally wearing designer jeans and Abercrombie sweaters, in a tiger costume.

"Hannah, this what you'll look like" Lexi said. "Please do it, we need you".

For some reason, hearing her say she needed me made me feel like I actually had friend.

"Ok, I'll be Toby the Tiger"

I could tell how excited Lexi was even though she was wearing the tiger head. "That's so great!" Lexi shouted.

Lexi approached me and hugged be tight as Toby the Tiger.