9| I Know What You Are

Start from the beginning

'Then give me a chance to earn it, please!' He pleaded.

I didn't want to fight with him, not really. I could tell that he cared for my sister and I knew that she cared for him so it wasn't like I could be mad at him. Well, I could...but I could also be civil towards him.

'And how would you do that?' I asked, now completely calm.

'First, I need your help with Vicki and then after that I will tell you everything you want to know about vampires and how to survive without anyone figuring out what you are. Anything you need, I'll be there to help.'

I sighed deeply. I didn't want anything to do with it but he was right; Vicki wasn't just his problem but mine too. If she spoke out about what attack her then we would both be in danger.

'Will take my car...wanna drive?' I asked as I held out the car keys to him.

Stefan grinned and then grabbed the keys before we finally left the school grounds.

*

Arriving at the hospital, I asked the receptionist where Vicki Donovan's room was. The middle aged woman behind the counter took a while to reply as she was too busy asking about how I was for she had been working on the night of the accident. After nodding and smiling politely at her, she finally informed Stefan and I that Vicki was resting up in room 2-2-4.

Walking down the cold and empty corridor of Mystic Falls General, I held up my hand to make stefan stay where he was before continuing on to Vicki's room.

'Hey, Matt,' I whispered as I entered the small room.

He was sitting beside the hospital bed; his head was bowed and he clutched his sisters hand in his.

'Hey,' He replied, looking up as I walked in.

'I just wanted to come by and see how she was.' I smiled as I sat on the armrest of his chair and put my arm around his shoulders.

'You left the bonfire. I saw you.' He said.

'I know. I'm sorry, I wasn't feeling well last night.' I lied.

Matt nodded and leaned his head in to my shoulder and sighed.

'She's going to be okay, Matt.' I whispered before laying my head on top of his.

We sat like that for awhile but pulled apart at Vicki began to regain consciousness.

'Whoa! Vick,' Matt said as he rushed to her side, 'Vicki, hey. Vick, it's Matt. Hey, what's wrong?'

'No! No! Get off! No! No! No!' She started thrashing around and screaming as Matt tried to calm his sister.

'Nurse!' Matt yelled as he ran out of the room in search of a Doctor. As Matt walked out, Stefan appeared.

'It was an animal that attacked you. It came out of the night and jumped you. You blacked out. It's all you remember.' He said as he looked in to Vicki's eyes and compelled her.

'It's all I remember,' she replied in emotionlessly.

'An animal attacked you. You blacked out. It's all you remember.' He repeated.

'It's all I remember,' Vicki said showing that the compulsion had worked.

'Nurse! I need help! It's my sister.' Matt yelled as he returned to find that Vicki had calmed down while I sat beside her, stroking her hair soothingly; Stefan was no where to be seen.

'She seems fine,' the nurse said and then left without checking on her patient.

*