Arianna's Entrance

Chapter 13

Arianna’s Entrance

      The next day Ralem was finishing up gathering supplies for the journey. Jaydon was completely oblivious, happily exploring the town, especially the stores with things that glitter. He already had a hoard building up in one of Ralem’s boots, and it was already overflowing. With an almost unlimited amount of money, he was getting a little carried away. The jewels and trinkets in the windows were almost irresistible to him. A couple times the store keeper had to keep him from walking out of the store without paying; he was still unused to that human custom.

      But today a new scent was carried to him by the wind from the market as he eyed a particularly large ring with a diamond emblazoned on it. The smell was zesty and demanded Jaydon’s attention, enough to even distract a dragon from jewelry. Following the scent like a dog on a trail he soon found a new stand in the market. A light man with a black moustache and hair was calling, “Guindilla! Fresh from Spain! Hot Chile peppers! Padrón! Spices!”  Jaydon walked up to the stand in question and fingered one of the peppers. It was long and bright red. The man noticed his interest, “Guindilla, it’s really hot. You want to try a little?” Jaydon nodded, entranced by the smell. The man cut off a small sliver and handed it to him. As soon as the pepper touched his tongue sparks danced in his mouth. It was delicious! The man was impressed, “Most people can’t take that much heat,” he said.  “I’ll buy it,” Jaydon said, stuffing a gold royal into the vender’s hands, whose eyes lit up. “Take as many peppers as you want!”

       Jaydon grabbed a long one and bit into it. Mmmm. It was a big bite, and the sparks in his mouth ignited and fire came up his throat. There was no stopping it. He doubled over in a vain attempt to impede the flames but they exploded out, setting his clothes on fire in a flash. The vender was too busy admiring the gold to notice, but the crowd had seen the smoke coming off Jaydon. They started screaming, trying to get away from the man on fire. Soon there was a wide circle around the dragon. The fire didn’t harm Jaydon, but his clothes were starting to burn off. The thing about dragon fire was that it was extremely hot, and burned things quicker than a pig can eat a carrot. He knew Ralem would go nuts if he found out his dragon was running naked around town. Especially for the fact both Ralem and Jaydon looked exactly alike.

       Jaydon made a quick exit, which wasn’t hard because people made sure to get out of his way as he barreled down the street to look for a hiding place. The fire was eating up his clothes fast, fiery wisps of burnt cloth broke free and floated away as he ran.

      Then he found a narrow opening between a store and a house and he disappeared into it. Hiding behind a sack of flour, he waited for the fire to die out.

      “You know you’re on fire,” came a scratchy voice from nearby. He turned his head to find an old man, dirtier than a pig and clothed in even dirtier rags. His bright blue eyes peered out from a wrinkled face. He was pointing a gnarled finger at Jaydon.

      “Yes,” Jaydon replied breathily, focusing on the wall in front of him.

      “Boy, you’re as naked as a plucked chicken,” he added, his voice wavering as he pointed with his finger more furiously than before.

      Jaydon patted the last of the fire of his shoulder. “Not anymore,” he told the old man as the air shimmered around him and fresh clothes appeared on his body. He stepped out from behind the sack, leaving the old man with an astonished look on his face.

      Ralem was across town, checking out some daggers. None of them suited him. He was wishing that he could produce claws like Jaydon. He browsed for a bit more before choosing a small one with a leather sheath. It was made so that you could hide it under a cloak or belt.