Epilogue

Chapter 21

Epilogue

    Arianna woke up to find a greenish yellow parchment-like substance over her head. Still not fully awake, she reached up to touch it. It was smooth and sturdy at the same time. Someone snuggled against her chest. She looked down to find a grubby little girl, angelic in her sleep. She was sucking her thumb, her beautiful curly hair made her look like she had a golden halo. The sight of her brought back the memories of the past day. She got up with a start, her head banging against the parchment-thing which shifted, unveiling the streaming sunlight. Arianna squinted, her sleepy mind trying to determine where she was. They were in a green valley, with flowers abloom and grass blowing lightly in the breeze. Arianna scrambled to her feet, waking the child who whimpered. Arianna beheld the huge green mass that she had been right beside the whole time. A ginormous brilliant emerald green head swiveled around to look at her and she gasped.

         “Is that you, Jaydon?” Arianna asked, her voice shaking.

          “Yes,” Jaydon said, shifting his body so she could see that he had no emerald on his chest.

          Arianna didn’t miss a beat, “Oh good! Where’s Ralem?”

          Jaydon’s eyes turned sad. He unclasped his claws, revealing Ralem’s still form. Arianna rushed to Ralem, “Is he all right?” She felt his wrist. “He’s alive,” she stated, then looked up, “What’s wrong with him?”

        Jaydon looked away, “He…. Sacrificed a lot to free me from the evil woman’s clutches. His body may be well, but his spirit …. It took everything he had to give me enough energy to rise up again. I will… try to heal him until he is well enough to rise.”

        Arianna blinked back tears, praying to every god she knew. She kissed him on the forehead. “May Urywhey guide your spirit home,” she whispered.

        Jaydon blinked, Urywhey?  He put Ralem safely in his pouch all male dragons had on their softer underbelly (along with the egg he had nabbed in the wreckage before he had flown away).

         Arianna felt something nuzzle her back. She spun around to find the Pegasus. “Oh, Sprite! I’m so glad you made it!” She hugged the Pegasus’s velvety neck and Sprite neighed softly. When Arianna pulled back, Sprite shifted her wings sadly. Arianna took one look at them and inhaled sharply, “Oh you poor thing!”

        “I won’t be able to fly in weeks,” Sprite complained, “My beautiful wings- ruined!”

          “Oh, they’re not ruined. We’ll fix them up as soon as we get to…” she stopped, “Where are we?”

            “In a field outside of Redfield. I came to drop Aren off here.” The dragon unfolded another claw to find a sleeping man who looked similar to Ralem, but with a squarer jaw and an unkempt beard. As soon as the sun’s bright rays fell upon his face, he yawned and stretched, opening his eyes. The second he saw the dragon towering over him he grabbed for the nonexistent sword by his side. When he found he had no weapon, he sputtered and scrambled to his feet.

             “I won’t hurt you,” Jaydon said in his deep rumble. Arianna reached out a hand to reassure Aren and he jumped back as if she was a snake. He spun around and ran as fast as he could, speeding toward town.

        “That settles it,” Jaydon exhaled, watching Aren’s retreating form, “We need to get a move on.”

         “But where to?” Arianna asked. Then she felt a pull on her dress. She looked down to find the child, her hands outstretched for Arianna to pick her up. “I miss my mommy and daddy,” she sobbed, hiding her face.