When I caught on to his scent, I figured it was Layton.

He appeared at the end of the hallway with Jared and Nick at his sides. When his eyes landed on me, his features softened. I glared at him, still remembering the argument from the previous day.

There were only a few minutes left before the bell, but Layton still made his way towards us.

“We’re skipping first period, let’s go,” he ordered.

He stood in front of me, his arms at his sides. The way his features were hardened and cold made him look even more imposing.

If his tone caused emotions in me and made me want to bow down to him, I couldn’t even begin to imagine what it did to the Wolves in his pack.

“I’m going to class,” I replied, breaking my gaze from his.

I began walking away in the opposite direction. Zev let his arm fall from my shoulder, but he and Micah continued to stand on either side of me.

“Don’t even dare,” Layton threatened in a low voice.

“Dare what? Speak my mind?” I asked, remembering his words from the previous day.

“Don’t you dare walk away from me,” he threatened.

I shook my head and took a step to leave. I had to stop midway when I realized Zev was getting closer to Layton.

“Or what?” Zev asked, glaring at Layton.

“This doesn’t concern you, Zeverus. I’m talking to my mate. You and your,” Layton paused as he gave Micah a once over, “other pack member, can find your way to class.”

Micah stood next to Zev, while Jared and Nick were at Layton’s flanks. It surprised me that the other guys from their packs hadn’t noticed the confrontation.

Since the bell had already rung, I assumed they had gone to class. Most people passing by would turn to look. Once they noticed who was involved in the stand-off, they would hurriedly walk away.

I was once again forced to choose to leave with one in order to prevent a fight.

“Why do you want to skip class?” I asked Layton, trying to keep my voice steady.

“We need to talk about what happened yesterday,” Layton spoke to me softly.

I almost laughed at how funny he looked. He was trying to keep his voice down when there were three Werewolves around with enhanced hearing.

“What happened yesterday?” Zev asked, a frown forming on his face.

“I’ll tell you later,” I told him, waving my hand, showing it was something unimportant.

At the same time that Zev said “oh, okay,” Layton said “no, you won’t.”

“Right,” I said, looking at Layton.

“Let’s go,” Layton ordered, trying to get a hold of my hand.

“We’ll talk after school.”

“You’re not mad?” Layton looked surprised when he asked that.

“Not really,” I shrugged.

A smile tugged on the corner of his lips, that was, until I finished speaking.

“I don’t really care,” I said.

By the time I arrived at class, it was really late. I was glad that the teacher only joked about my tardiness. I wasn’t ready to give an excuse which I clearly didn’t have.