Chapter Eighteen

Over the next few days, all of the Cullens plus Alec, Jane, Jacob and Seth helped Jumelle develop her gift further. They still didn't see the purpose in it, and they didn't want to see if the thin lines actually helped in combat. Seth suggested testing it out using Jane's gift. Of course, Edward and Alec went ballistic saying how dangerous that really was and how much pain Jumelle would be in if it didn't work. Jane disagreed and said she would never try to hurt Jumelle whether they were testing something or not.

Carlisle suggested just talking to Eleazar Denali in Alaska for assistance, since he could sense what gifts a person has. Edward was open-minded towards that idea, but Alec was a working progress. Last time he saw the Denali clan, they were fully prepared to take him on, since the Volturi murdered Kate and Tanya's sister Irina. He said he wouldn't be surprised if they tried to murder him and Jane.

Jumelle was open to all ideas at the moment. She just wanted to figure out what her gift was useful for and how she could use it to her advantage against any enemies. Her current opinion lies with Eleazar.

Carlisle contacted the clan; they were coming down at some stage to reveal to the Cullens how Jumelle could help in any situation. Carlisle told Eleazar that Alec was Jumelle's mate and therefore Jane was also staying with the family. Eleazar said that Kate and Tanya were keen for any visit to the Cullens, despite the ex-Volturi members being involved.

So it was settled. The Denali clan were due to arrive the next Sunday morning, which was also the morning of Daniel's first birthday. It all worked out perfectly; the Denalis could be there to witness their 'nephew's' first birthday and Jumelle could discover more about herself at the same time.

As for Jumelle, she was doing well on her own. She and Alec were happy in their newly built home. It was perfect, which meant Alice obviously foresaw what the both of them liked and mixed it together. The house really was perfect.

Ever since Jumelle fell asleep on the sofa in Renesmee and Jacob's house and threw up that morning, she had been throwing up every morning since. She and Alec had no idea what it was, and they kept it to themselves. Jumelle didn't want everybody stressing out too much. The Cullens had to make everything perfect for Danny's birthday, plus the weight of her gift on their shoulders. It would just make everything worse.

She decided she'd tell Carlisle about it in private the following week after Danny's birthday.

- - -

Jumelle woke up, feeling nauseous. She sat bolt upright and felt her stomach slowly rising in her chest. She shot out of bed and headed quickly to the adjoined bathroom.

She felt her hair being held out of her face as she vomited violently into the toilet. When she was sure my stomach had been entirely emptied, Jumelle flushed the toilet and closed the lid down. She sat on top of it as Alec kneeled in front of her.

"It's getting worse," he stated as he tucked a stray piece of hair behind his mate's ear.

Jumelle nodded and wiped her mouth. "I know," she said quietly. "I don't know what it is."

"You haven't caught a virus, right? You're still part human, it's possible," Alec explained.

Jumelle frowned in thought before she shook her head quickly. "No, I haven't been anywhere near humans for a while. A few months, actually. It can't've been anybody else, because ... it can't've." She paused. "Can it?"

"Depends; can shape-shifters get diseases?" Alec pondered aloud. He shrugged and looked up at Jumelle worriedly. "Are you sure you wanna wait until next week? It's not that bad to do it now--"

"The Denalis are coming today, and it's Danny's party ... I can wait."

Alec's worried frown deepened.

"Relax, Alec, I'll be fine."

"That doesn't mean I can't worry," Alec muttered.

Jumelle pursed her lips. "Alright, I'll make you a deal." Alec raised his eyes to meet hers. "You let me live through this day and we'll have fun--" He cracked a grin at that. "-- and I'll talk to Carlisle tonight. How does that sound?"

Alec nodded in agreement with a smirk. "And after you talk to Carlisle ..." He waggled his eyebrows suggestively. Jumelle chuckled and shoved his shoulder lightly.

She felt the nausea coming on again strongly and quickly shuffled off the toilet. Alec moved over worriedly and held her hair back for her as she vomited once more.

"Maybe you shouldn't go," Alec prompted cautiously as Jumelle finished once again for the morning.

Jumelle shook her head. "It's Danny's first birthday; I have to go," she mumbled. She stood up and wandered over to the sink. Alec followed him and hoisted himself onto the bench as Jumelle washed her mouth out.

"You don't have to, JuJu," he murmured softly as Jumelle spat in the sink, ridding her mouth of the foul taste of vomit. "Or you can at least be 'fashionably late', as you women call it these days."

Jumelle chuckled. "Alec." Alec looked at her lovingly and worriedly at the same time. His eyes said it all; don't go. "I'm going."

Jumelle must've turned around too fast or something, because she was soon throwing up again.

As she finished up once more, Alec raised his eyebrows. Jumelle rolled her eyes.

"Alright, fine. I'll stay home."

He gave her a small lopsided grin.

"But you're going over there to tell them that I can't come."

"I thought you weren't telling anybody until the party was over?" Alec mused with a gleam of playfulness in his eyes.

Jumelle cracked a grin. "The rules are different now. You go and talk to Carlisle privately and organise for him to see me tonight, after Danny's party. We can see the Denalis again another time to figure out my gift. All I need right now is to figure out why the hell I've thrown up so many times in the last week."

Alec nodded. He kissed Jumelle's forehead as she sat on the edge of their bed.

"I'll be back before you know it."

Alec took off out of the room and downstairs. Jumelle heard the slam of the front door and sighed, laying down and pressing a hand to her forehead. She closed her eyes tightly.

"I'll be waiting."