Chapter 3: Mom and Dad

hi.

* * * * 

[Insert music for full effect] 

"One upon a time there lived a beautiful princess who was somewhat less beautiful than Princess Faith but still very beautiful to say the least. If she had any children, they'd seriously be hot. Like, really hot. Anyways, this princess' name was Phoebe, the mother of Alexandru. This was well before Phoebe had a son, and well before her husband, Malphas....became....a well, a demon. Some of the most powerful and evil of demon's were once human as he was.

Phoebe had a head of thick golden curls that hung like silky spirals down to her back, and a smile that was as warm as sunshine. Her mother, Vitalia, was a black witch, currently the most powerful black witch to ever exist, her father a human. Regardless of the wicked nature of black power wielder, the mother had a good soul, and loved her human husband very much, and he loved and accepted her for who she was. The beautiful princess therefore had a good life with much wealth. But her happy life, like many other happy lives, would change drastically by one tragic event.

            One day, Vitalia found out that her husband had been cheating on her. That made the princess' mother very, very angry, because the woman that he had...kissed...was the her sister. Vitalia was so upset with her sister and her husband that she cursed herself to never love another so passionately as she had loved her husband. Phoebe's mother had no experience with curses of the heart, she only knew that they were known to turn the hair black and were difficult to undo. When Vitalia casted the spell, the magic backfired against the goodness of her soul, and her heart began to rot uncontrollably, until she no longer had an ounce of love for herself, for others, or love for anything in general.

             Pheobe was told as a child that her father had died in battle, but as she grew into a young adult and more powerful than her mother, Vitalia admitted to the princess that she had killed her own husband and her own sister. She did not tell her daughter that it had been the spell backfiring, that it had not been her fault, knowing that her daughter would never use magic again. Vitalia wept, pleading that her daughter would forgive her. That she loved her, even when she could no longer physically display the emotion. Regardless of what the woman said, all that Phoebe could see in her mother was a corrupted soul and a corrupted heart.

                        Phoebe would never know that her mother could not love her or anyone else because of magic, nor that magic had killed her father and aunt, until it was too late. She simply thought that her mother was born evil and had senselessly murdered them She did not know the consequences of wielded dark magic on another's heart for love. All she knew for sure was that Vitalia was enormously possessive over her throughout her childhood, fearing that the girl would make the same mistake that she had with a man, a human, and trust him as she had trusted her husband. Fearing that she would cast a similar spell that she had years before. Vitalia had made Phoebe afraid of men, and now her daughter believed that she was an unforgiving, spineless killer.

            Phoebe cut a dagger into her hand as she cried for her father and aunt, drawing blood from her own flesh right then and there, vowing to her mother and to her black magic to always stay true to good. That even though she was a black witch, and most black witches were known for being wicked, she would not fall for any evil temptation. She then fled from their home the very next day with only a small sac of clothes on her back. She would start her life over and forget her past, forget her mother.

            Phoebe was more intelligent than most women, and since she was isolated most of her life and had no friends, she had surrounded herself with education. Everything except war, that is, because she did not like war. Therefore, she was as educated as any noble man, witty, and quick to put men in her place. But never had she been taught to fend for herself alone, helpless, without shelter, food, or the comfort of money. All Phoebe really had was her black magic. And she was refusing to use it, because whenever she did, it reminded her of her mother and she cried.