8. CROSSFIRE

Ty winced as the screen door squeaked in his hand. Despite the blustery winds, the weather was nice enough Momma had left the front door open. Probably to help air out the new paint smell.

"Ty, that you, honey?" In the kitchen a chair scraped and he heard footsteps.

"Yeah, Momma." He hung his coat up, trying to figure out by their voices who else was in the kitchen.

"You're late. What kept you?" She tucked a lock of red hair behind her ear and waited. As far as Momma was concerned, there was no particular age when she'd stop scolding you for anything.

He circled around the new living room carpet to where she stood and kissed her cheek. "I had to run an errand. Looks good in here. You and Delaney get finished?"

"Don't try and distract me. I was worried about you." She frowned up at him, dragging him toward the kitchen by the arm. "Come on and eat before your dad and Tim wolf it all down."

He obediently let her drag him along, wincing at the sound of his boots on the newly waxed hardwood floors. Between that, the new carpet-light green to match Momma's couch-and the paint, the place looked almost brand new.

Telling his dad wasn't near as difficult as confronting Bettina had been. If anyone would understand his need to marry Bettina and provide for his child, his father would. If anyone wouldn't give him a ration of grief, it'd be Dad. Not after springing a full-grown daughter on the family earlier this year. But telling his mom...was anybody's guess.

"Sit," Maggie ordered. "Do you want soup?"

As if he had a choice? "No, ma'am."

"You're late. How'd it go?" Jerrod asked from his spot at the head of the table.

So much for hello. "Fine, just fine. I uh...had to stop somewhere on my way home." Ty took the chair to his father's left, watching his forehead pucker with concern. How many of the wrinkles around those bright blue eyes were Ty's fault--or for that matter, how many of the gray hairs sprinkled in with the blonde were his fault also?

"I didn't go see her." Rhea. Her name hung unspoken over all of them. Like some evil spirit. He helped himself to two sandwiches and a glass of tea, as if he didn't have a care in the world.

Jerrod exhaled deeply, relief at his son's words obvious in the sudden droop of his shoulders.

"Thank God for that," Tim mumbled at his other side.

Ty bit back and angry reply his mother wouldn't appreciate. Swearing was one thing, but swearing in front of Momma wasn't acceptable.

"Tim!" Delaney hissed from her spot across the table.

Tim jumped, then grunted in obvious pain while Ty smothered his laughter in his glass of tea. At his mother's stern gaze, he set the glass down and took a bite of his roast beef sandwich.

His dad stood up with a sigh. "On that note, it's time we got back to work. Ty we'll be out in the west pasture when you're done."

Tim stood, tossing his napkin on the table.

Ty looked up into his father's eyes, suddenly reluctant to lay another burden on him. But it wasn't like he could hide a baby. With one last deep breath he forced the words out before he turned completely chicken. "I-I'm gettin' married."

Nobody moved but he could feel four sets of eyes on him.

"I can go." Delaney stood, glancing from him to Daddy.